Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > All-Grain - Revvy's Belgian Blonde (Leffe Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #241
starman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

As robust as the Belgian strains all seem to be, definitely make starters for beers this big.

I did a side by side of my keg vs bottled at ~21 days. Both aren't there yet but unsurprisingly the keg that's been chilled and on gas has a lot farther to go. This batch isn't the best example due to blowing the mash temp and using 3787 at a higher ferm temp. It will be great, no question but I've decided to pull it out of my keggerator and let it condition longer at room temp.

Carbonation was almost there but not perfect so I'm considering priming to finish it up. Its hard to gusstimate a corn sugar addition but thinking 1.5-2 oz. This batch is a little thick due to the mash temp so overshooting the carbonation will probably be OK.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #242
jathorp
Recipes 

Default Leffe Yeast?

As a fan of Leffe, I've been eyeing this recipe for quite some time. I've looked high and low and based on what I can tell, this recipe seems to be quite close, with one exception: the yeast.

For my taste, the flavors that dominate Leffe are Leche (bubblegum) and clove with some malty graininess in the background. I think the yeast is the key to nailing the flavors, so I've spent some time looking into it.

I've never actually brewed with WLP530, but literally everything I can find about it says that it is mild in both the fruit and the spice. I can't find anyone ever describing the taste of 530 as leche or bubblegum and the spice rarely seems to be that of clove. The more I thought about it, I realized I can't remember ever tasting Leche in a belgian strain at all. (Some say that WLP400 can give off bubblegum; and I'm sure there's a commercial example, but I've never had it.)

In my search for the right yeast, I stumbled across a few postings which said that Leffe was actually brewed with a German Weizen strain and that it was confirmed by an employee at Leffe. My first reaction was that's crazy, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. If you could remove the banana from a weizen I think the flavor would be spot on.

From what I can tell, WLP 351 fits the bill perfectly. It's supposed to have little to no banana and have lots of leche and clove. I'm proud to say that I picked up the last vial of 351 at my LHBS today and I'm going to brew it up next weekend. The vial is past the expiration date, so I'll have to step up a few starters. But before I put grain to water I wanted to test my theory. My LHBS owner (who is quite knowledgeable) that it might be crazy enough to be true. What do y'all think?

If you like to clean, you'll love to brew.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:03 AM   #243
Hanso
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

FWIW I've heard Wyeast 3787 has a fair amount of bubble gum flavor if not done at cool temps. No first hand experience with it yet though.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:43 AM   #244
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

My recipe tastes pretty bubblegummy to me....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-24-2012, 02:39 AM   #245
jathorp
Recipes 

Well, I think I'm wrong. I found a copy of Brew Like a Monk and there was (as expected) some info Belgian yeast and (to a lesser extent) info on Leffe.

Leffe is fermented for 5 days. Pitched at 64F and allowed to rise to 77F over 5 days. Lagered for two weeks and forced carbed. OG:1.064. I'm no expert, but I don't think temps that high would produce tasty results in a hefe. From my experience hefe yeast does much better <72F.

The book also had flavor profiles for various strains and it appears that 1214, 3522, 3787 & 3538 will all produce bubblegum (as well as other things) when fermented between 75-85. If Brew like a Monk is right it appears 3538 may be the closest choice. Unfortunately it has limited availability. 1214 may be the next best bet.

My 351 starter is kicking, but I think I should just use it on a hefe instead.

If you like to clean, you'll love to brew.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #246
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Well, at 4 weeks in the bottle and my second attempt at this recipe and a side by side I must say this batch turned out fantastic! Thanks for the recipe Revvy! This one is going to be a regular rotation for sure

image-2235711896.jpg  

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
Revvy Likes This 
Old 11-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #247
ArnooBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I've finally had the opportunity to brew this one. Leffe Blonde is one of my favourite beers so I can't wait to taste the finished result. It's bubbling away vigorously.

My finished volume was slightly low (16 litres instead of 19) and my OG was slightly high (1072 instead of 1068) but hopefully it'll still turn out ok, if slightly strong.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:29 AM   #248
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 348 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 239

For the record, I just cracked open one of my last dozen or so bottles of this brew.

My "bottled on" date on the label is 4-28-2012, and I brewed it four weeks prior to bottling.

Age hasn't hurt this one a bit; if anything, it continues to subtly improve.

Pour gives me the same nice, fluffy head as always.

Aroma is a fruity bouqet with some slightly hoppy notes. Taste is fruity maltiness up front balanced with some nice spiciness and a subtly dry finish. Very nice brew, one that I will make a point to always have on hand.

Revvy Likes This 
Old 01-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #249
sockmerchant
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Brewed this yesterday. Mashed for an hour, but otherwise hit all my numbers. Subbed in some Willamette for the 60 min and tettnang for the 30min. Used yeast from my last dubbel (WLP530). My 1L starter didnt have much of a white layer of yeast, so after crashing it, poured off and did another starter. Well, I had full krausen at 6 hours... Guess there was plenty of yeast.

Currently sitting at around 19C.

Should be a good one!

Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison
Revvy Likes This 
Old 01-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #250
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Sounds interesting with the hops, and the yeasts. Can't wait to hear how it turns out.

Hey, that begs a question for you guys. What yeasts have you used on this? Every time I do this I use a different one, including harvest yeast, and so far nothing really beats the original yeast I used. What do you guys like? I think I need to get this back in rotation again...not sure if I want to use something new, or go back to old school on this.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply