Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Duvel (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2010, 03:51 AM   #41
TUCK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturb View Post
I don't know if anyone can help me. I was thinking about brewing this beer. I did not see any mash time/temp. instructions, I may have missed them though.
Mashed at 150 for 60 minutes. Mash at higher temps to achieve a thicker viscosity.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2010, 06:36 PM   #42
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

How would this be with blueberry in addition to the pears?

I've been wanting to do a Duvel clone for a while as I'm working on a beer for my 20 year high school reunion. I have five years to work on the recipe.

Our school colors were blue and gold, so I figured blueberries and golden pears might be a nice hook.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #43
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Okay. Got this goin' in. The guy at my LHBS helped me scale to 8 gallons and we made a few tweaks. About 45 minutes into the boil now.

Only catch is my pot wouldn't hold the whole boil, so I put three gallons on the stovetop to boil. No hop additions there because I didn't want to split 'em up. Only boiled that bit for 40 minutes since my main boil was pretty aggressive and looks like I'll boil off more than expected there. So we'll see how much I have when I put it all together.

Not sure if I'll fruit this batch or just bottle and hold on for a few months and use it as a reference batch. I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing how this one turns out!

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Last edited by JetSmooth; 09-04-2010 at 03:50 PM. Reason: picture

Old 09-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #44
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Okay. Got the wort in two cornys. I could only chill to about 90 before I hit equilibrium with my ground water. Well, not really, but it was close and would have taken forever to come down to pitching temps. I didn't add any of the sugars to the boil as I plan on feeding the beer over time. So I'll do the candi sugar in about four days and the dextrose another few days after that. Figure I'll give the yeasties a chance to eat the maltose before the "candi".

I'd read that was advisable for these high grav brews (and just heard it on BrewStrong the other day). My LHBS guy also recommended that. Did any of you do that with your brews?

Even without the sugars, my OG was 1.053 corrected for temp, which comes in at 70% efficiency according to brew target. Once I get the candi and dex in there, it'll have a cumulative gravity of 1.066. I could add another half pound of dex if I really want to hit 1.069. We'll see how it goes.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:36 PM   #45
TUCK

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth View Post
Okay. Got the wort in two cornys. I could only chill to about 90 before I hit equilibrium with my ground water. Well, not really, but it was close and would have taken forever to come down to pitching temps. I didn't add any of the sugars to the boil as I plan on feeding the beer over time. So I'll do the candi sugar in about four days and the dextrose another few days after that. Figure I'll give the yeasties a chance to eat the maltose before the "candi".

I'd read that was advisable for these high grav brews (and just heard it on BrewStrong the other day). My LHBS guy also recommended that. Did any of you do that with your brews?

Even without the sugars, my OG was 1.053 corrected for temp, which comes in at 70% efficiency according to brew target. Once I get the candi and dex in there, it'll have a cumulative gravity of 1.066. I could add another half pound of dex if I really want to hit 1.069. We'll see how it goes.
I am VERY excited for your brew........... Please let us know how it turns out

ALSO, what type of yeast are you using?

Last edited by TUCK; 09-14-2010 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Ask a question

Old 09-15-2010, 12:15 AM   #46
JetSmooth
Recipes 

One half is using a smack pack of Wyeast 1833 "Belgian Strong Ale" and the other is 1762 "Belgian Abbey II".

The 1762 krausen was NASTY thick! Almost had the consistency of a freshly-risen pizza dough. Banana and bubble gum smells like crazy! The 1833 was peachy and spicy. I added the sugars in batches and it's "done" fermenting now. Hit 1.010 FG on both. I took the gas lines off the corny kegs but am venting twice a day as there's still a bit of gas. So maybe they're not QUITE done. These are going to be dry!

I think I'll keep 'em in the primary for another two weeks, then secondary in cornies for another month. Then bottle in Belgian bottles with corks and cages for another two months. That will be four months since brewing.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:34 AM   #47
TUCK

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth View Post
One half is using a smack pack of Wyeast 1833 "Belgian Strong Ale" and the other is 1762 "Belgian Abbey II".

The 1762 krausen was NASTY thick! Almost had the consistency of a freshly-risen pizza dough. Banana and bubble gum smells like crazy! The 1833 was peachy and spicy. I added the sugars in batches and it's "done" fermenting now. Hit 1.010 FG on both. I took the gas lines off the corny kegs but am venting twice a day as there's still a bit of gas. So maybe they're not QUITE done. These are going to be dry!

I think I'll keep 'em in the primary for another two weeks, then secondary in cornies for another month. Then bottle in Belgian bottles with corks and cages for another two months. That will be four months since brewing.

MAN that sounds GREAT!!!! Good to hear and I am sure it will be AWSOME.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #48
KeithMoonsLiver
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Made something like this the other week, without the pears or aromatic malt, used wyeast 1388 and hit 93% apparent attenuation! That's what moortgat gets, iirc. Going to cold crash and bottle soon. Unfortunately I only did a 2.5 gallon batch, I think this one is going to get drunk fast.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:48 PM   #49
Houblon
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourBeastsBrewery View Post
yea... i call BS on the pronounciation. I first had Duvel in Amsterdam, and the Dutch say it doo-vel.
Yep and its best fresh before the hops fade, oh and the pear is from the yeast.

Pilsner,sugar

Delivered fresh that morning from the brewery>

vs a couple weeks old from the brewery>

Old 12-09-2010, 04:02 AM   #50
badmajon
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Hey I think this is going to be my next beer, but I noticed it has a 90 minute boil, which is longer than the 60 minutes I am used to. What is the purpose of the longer boil?

Oh, and I heard some people were adding the sugars slowly to the fermenters rather than adding at boil, how did that turn out? Should I do that?

Quick Reply