Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Multiple - Blue Balls Belgian Wit (Blue Moon Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #551
tg123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows69 View Post
Looking good going into the boil. I took everything i could read up on Blue Moon and piled into a big pile of sh!t. The recipe above is what i came up with. Will post the finish product in about 4 weeks. See how this stacks up against all the times I have made blue moon witch is more times then I can count.
Nice. I'm also brewing this extract version today. Good luck with yours!

Bottles: JAOM, Apfelwein
Kegs: Amarillo Saison, Centenniamarillo Blonde
Primary: Air
Secondary: Water spots

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #552
tg123
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Glad I opted for the blow off tube. Got some crazy fermentation going on day two. Some irregular bubbling going on too.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:52 PM   #553
dphornguy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbulger View Post
Boiled this up yesterday thanks for the recipe muncher cant wait for a few weeks to taste it. That flaked wheat gave me a hell of time with my braid! IT increased my brew session by about an hour or two, it was alright though i think i was drunk by that point anyways.
Can anyone think of a reason it wouldn't be a good idea to toss the flaked wheat into a nylon bag first? It could be loosely floating in the mash tun, but this way clean up and overall drainage would be better. i think the only downside would be if by keep all the wheat together you don't really get a good conversion due to the homogenous clump you create in the bag.
- Dry Stout (DOB 10/19) gone already?! :-(
- English Dry Cider (DOB 10/25)
- Citra Correction (DOB 10/12 and 11/5 correct)

Old 01-01-2014, 06:51 PM   #554
tg123
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphornguy View Post

Can anyone think of a reason it wouldn't be a good idea to toss the flaked wheat into a nylon bag first? It could be loosely floating in the mash tun, but this way clean up and overall drainage would be better. i think the only downside would be if by keep all the wheat together you don't really get a good conversion due to the homogenous clump you create in the bag.
I did that because I didn't know we aren't supposed to, but I did the extract version so I don't think conversion was too big of a deal to me.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #555
Throw_Back
Recipes 

I just tasted this last night. OG:1.037, SG:1.007. It may not be done fermenting, although it has been nearly two weeks and I suspect it has. It tastes watery. Like extremely so. The hint of citrus and coriander is there, but there really is not flavour that jumps out at me. Is this just an early stage and conditioning/carb will fix it, or could I save it by adding in some brown sugar or something to give it some more flavour?

Old 02-10-2014, 05:51 PM   #556
aslander
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Anyone have recommendations for bottle harvesting yeast for this? Don't really want to buy another vial of yeast as I have too many varieties right now. I'm thinking Allagash White or Hoegaarden bottle yeast. What do you all think?

Old 02-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #557
bolus14
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Allagash would definitely work. They use the same yeast to ferment as they do to bottle their White. On tap I love Allagash white, in the bottle it has more clove than I like.
Bells winter white
Ommegang witte or hennepin, they use the same yeast in both

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Home Brew mobile app

Old 04-21-2014, 06:26 PM   #558
MarathonMurse
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I brewed this as my first AG attempt (BIAB). I used my Mr. Beer fermentor, so I scaled the recipe down a bit. What I ended up putting in was:

2.25 lb pale
2.25 lb flaked wheat
a handful of oats (to help with what I assumed would be terrible efficiency)

.4 oz EKG (60 min)
.5 oz corriander (5 min)
.75 oz sweet orange peel (5 min)

Half-packet of US-05.

The hydrometer sample is phenomenal, and a few weeks from now when I open one up and start the lawnmower, that'll be a heck of a good day.

The best part is that a rebrew will cost about $4 using the leftovers from last time. Loving AG compared to extract!

Old 06-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #559
Xantus954
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I made this BIAB and overshot the OG: 1.052 but fermentation seems to be stuck. Its down to 1.030 and won't budge. I bought another vial of yeast, made a starter and pitched it. I stirred it every day for a week and still nothing.

I'm thinking of pitching drying a package of coopers yeast just to see if it will finish. This was my 3rd BIAB batch and the first one that won't finish so not sure what else to do here.

Ever heard the saying "dont s&$*@ where you eat"? I also wouldn't brew where I s%$&@. But ultimately it is your call. lol
-Sonofgrok

Old 06-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #560
piteko
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantus954 View Post
I made this BIAB and overshot the OG: 1.052 but fermentation seems to be stuck. Its down to 1.030 and won't budge. I bought another vial of yeast, made a starter and pitched it. I stirred it every day for a week and still nothing.
You already pitched twice? Was the second yeast at high krausen when pitching? If so, it's strange that two different vials gone stuck. Which temperature is the beer at? Did you double check the densimeter? I'm just trying to think out of the box...

If temperature is ok and the densimeter is fine, you could have reached a fermentation limit where you have no more fermentables. That would be strange, 1030 is pretty high. Which temp did you mash? What was the grist? Which yeast did you use?

Cheers from Italy!
Piteko

see -> http://www.piteko.com
read -> http://piteko.blogspot.com

Quick Reply