Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > Stone Enjoy By IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
scottland
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Stone Enjoy By IPA

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP007
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1.081
Final Gravity: 1.009
IBU: 90
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 5
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 8 Days @ 64F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 Days @ 68F
Tasting Notes: Absolutely amazing. One of the best beers I\'ve made.

6 Gallons
8.25lbs English Pale Malt (3.5L)
8.25lbs 2-row
1lb Dextrose
Mash at 147* for 75min

Stone gives the exact hops they use. I substituted a few based on what I have, what I want to use up, and what I feel won't make a difference. You'll see the hop Stone uses in parenthesis.

2oz Belma (Calypso) - Mash Hopped
10ml Hop Extract @ 90min
1oz ea. Simcoe, Belma (Delta), Northern Brewer(Target), Amarillo @ 15
1.25oz ea. Citra, Cascade, Centennial (Motueka) @ Flameout
Whirlpool for 20min
WLP007 - Dry English Ale Yeast
Dry Hop 1: 1.5oz ea Nelson Sauvin & Galaxy
Dry Hop 2: 1.5oz ea Nelson Sauvin & Galaxy

This beer has a million hops, so let's cover the important parts. First, you absolutely need Galaxy and Nelson for the dry hop. The beer won't be the same without it. Secondly, as you can see, I substituted some of the late kettle hops for what I had on hand. It didn't make a difference. Feel free to use the exact hop Stone uses if you can find it.

Next, the hop extract isn't critical. You're targeting 20AAU at that 90min addition, so if you can't find any hop extract, just add the appropriate amount of a clean bittering hop. (e.g. 1.18oz of Warrior @ 17% AA)

The grist is pretty simple. Mash as long as you need/want to ensure full conversion. 75-90min would be recommended.

I allowed the hops to steep hot in the kettle for 20min before I started chilling it. Also make sure to oxygenate the wort well. Get a big healthy starter of WLP007 going. You're looking for around 300B cells. Then ferment on the cooler end for WLP007. I started at 63-64, then nudged it up to 68 once fermentation slowed down.

Be very, very careful of oxidizing this beer once fermentation is over. I racked this into a keg to dry hop it so that I could purge the keg with CO2. I let each hop addition sit for 3-4 days, then finally kegged the beer.

This turns out absolutely identical to Enjoy By IPA. If you're a fan of the beer, and you can source the hops, I'd highly, highly recommend brewing this.

dsc_7580.jpg   dsc_7582.jpg   dsc_7583.jpg  
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
petetheo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Any thoughts on whether or not it would be worth it to do an extract version of this?

..Great Minds Drink Alike..

Planning: Some sort of Scotch Ale
Primary: Hop Juice IPA
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Big Floppy Cider

Old 07-10-2013, 12:09 AM   #3
scottland
Recipes 

You totally could, as there isn't a complicated grain bill. I'd say just use enough straight extra light DME to get you to 1.080-1.081

My only concern would be how fermentable of a wort that would create. So with that said, I'd use more dextrose to compensate. Say 1.5-1.75lbs. Just adjust your extract accordingly to hit an OG of 1.081

Also, if you really wanted to get fancy, you could use 50/50 extra light DME and Marris otter extract. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make, so I doubt it's critical.

I'd say it's worth trying, this beer is amazing.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
petetheo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Right on. I think I'll try this next. I love "Enjoy By." It's one of my favorites.

..Great Minds Drink Alike..

Planning: Some sort of Scotch Ale
Primary: Hop Juice IPA
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Big Floppy Cider

Old 07-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 183 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Sounds great.

Question: Do you remove the first dry hop when adding the second or do you just put it on top of the first one?

Old 07-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
hogwash
Minimally Exceptional
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Thanks for posting this! I may try this one this fall.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
TahoeRy
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Looks great

Old 07-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
CBMbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Really pleased you did this. Fantastic beer! Can't wait to brew it.

Happiness is in the eye of the beer holder

Hoptimistic Likes This 
Old 07-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
Option
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I love this beer and the recipe looks great. Might have to take a stab at it. I am curious about the hop extract? I have seen it come up in a few IIPA recipes lately. Are you using the Hopshot brand? I want to give them a try because there pretty cheap in comparison and it would leave behind less sludge to deal with in the kettle. Seems like its working well for people also.

Everything that I have read about mash hopping seems to point to it being a waste of hops and steer in the opposite direction. Although I am willing to give it a try for this beer. I think I will put them in the sparge water on top of the grain bed, is this similar to the technique you used?

Most importantly your clarity is amazing!! Did you use any kind of filtering or just time and temp?

Cheers!

Old 07-17-2013, 02:13 AM   #10
scottland
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option View Post
I love this beer and the recipe looks great. Might have to take a stab at it. I am curious about the hop extract? I have seen it come up in a few IIPA recipes lately. Are you using the Hopshot brand? I want to give them a try because there pretty cheap in comparison and it would leave behind less sludge to deal with in the kettle. Seems like its working well for people also.

Everything that I have read about mash hopping seems to point to it being a waste of hops and steer in the opposite direction. Although I am willing to give it a try for this beer. I think I will put them in the sparge water on top of the grain bed, is this similar to the technique you used?

Most importantly your clarity is amazing!! Did you use any kind of filtering or just time and temp?

Cheers!
I just used generic hop extract. It's mostly all the same stuff. I've used hotshots and no-name stuff interchangeably.

The mash hopping totally seems like I waste. I only went along with it because I really need to get rid of some Belma that I'm not a huge fan of. I just tossed them in the beginning of the mash. I will say, the wort running out of the kettle was fairly hoppy, so maybe there is something to it.

As for clarity, it's British yeast, so it drops hard and fast, but I did use some gelatin to really get it crystal clear.

Quick Reply