Specialty IPA: Black IPA Darth Vader - Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well finished this up yesterday, my second brew ever. Tell me if I messed up but I started dry hopping was going to leave the hops in 7 days then let it finish fermenting another 2 weeks before bottling as long as my gravity readings go as planned. Did I dry hop too early? Still learning this awesome hobby.

Great it's only been a day do you think I should take them out and put them in afterwards?

Great it's only been a day do you think I should take them out and put them in afterwards?

I'd just leave them alone...

You may like to get some more hops and dry hop again after fermentation completes, as the fermentation will likely have dispensed of most of the aromas from the hops.

Tapped the keg today....
Very roasty, coffee - chocolate flavored with the hop kick.

I don't know if that was the intent of the recipe but mine certainly finished that way. Not as hoppy as most IPA's I have had. I am in no way complaining - it is abundantly flavorful. Excellent!

This was my first all grain so I am certain that the execution of the mash was flawed. Doubt that I hit the temps as prescribed mainly because of the inaccuracy of the temp gauge. I have a new more precise digital so that will no longer be at issue.

OG: 1.061
FG: 1.013 (conditioned w/ corn sugar)

Thanks a ton for the recipe! Here's to many more.

Cheers!

Brewed the extract recipe of this last week and cant begin to describe how thirsty I am everytime I think about this. Projected bottling day will be February 12th although subject to change and first taste to be March 12-14. Cant wait to see how this turns out. :tank:[ame="http://youtu.be/MMl14AkCCQU"]http://youtu.be/MMl14AkCCQU[/ame]http://youtu.be/AnTctv5Xv-M

IMG_1513[1].jpg

IMG_1516[1].jpg

I am so excited about this beer I could _____ . I has been in my fermentor for 2 weeks and will rack next week. It looks so good I can almost taste it though the bottle. Thanks for this recipe.

If I was to use dry extract instead of liquid. What kind and how much should I use? Please forgive the ignorance, I'm still fairy new at brewing.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

If I was to use dry extract instead of liquid. What kind and how much should I use? Please forgive the ignorance, I'm still fairy new at brewing.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Darth Vader (Cascadian Dark Ale), 5.5 gal Extract

8.0 lbs. (3.63 kg) LME
1.0 lbs (0.45 kg) crystal 10L
1.0 lbs (0.45 kg) Carafa II Special
0.5 lbs. (0.22 kg) special roast

1 oz. (28 g) Centennial 60 min.
1 oz. (28 g) Cascade 45 min.
1 oz. (28 g) Willamette 15 min.
1 oz. (28 g) Cascade 0 min
1 oz. (28 g) Cascade dry hop

Yeast: US-05

Note: This beer was my attempt to clone Widmer Brothers W'10 Pitch Black IPA , only for convenience I used Fermentis US-05 yeast instead of German Ale (Kolsch) yeast wich I believe Widmer Brothers are using in most of their brews.

Do you know how to steep the specialty grains?

Brewed this up last weekend. Had to sub in 1/2 oz of Chinook for the 60 minute addition but other than that I followed the recipe.

Well, after babying this mix for the last month, I finally tapped the keg. It is wonderful, just wondeful. Was sitting with my lady in the hot tub, 20 degee temp, snow falling like crazy and were sipping this brew. I do not want to share. Enjoy!!!!

What is this beer typically finishing at for everyone? I just took a reading yesterday after two weeks and it is at 1.020. Fermentation is clearly complete, tasted fine. Just thought it would dry out a little more than that.

I brewed this for the second time a couple weeks ago and it just went into the bottles! This is one of my favorites! I see me keeping some of this around!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Kegged this today, took a sample and this is going to be killer!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

My batch finished out a 1.008, It was in the fermentor for three weeks at 65 degrees. I racked, cold crashed and pressurized the keg. it sat for another two weeks before tapping. It is one of those beers that is getting better every day.

"8.0 lbs. (3.63 kg) LME "

i see the LME, Are they they talking about the liquid or the powder. does it matter?

What exactly is the difference?

Currently Brewing: Cherry and Cinnamon Teabag Apfelwein; Mango and Cinnamon Teabag Apfelwein; Yooper's Banana Wine; Coffee Wine; Disturbd Chemist's Jalapeno and Cucumber Mead; Jalapeño Cream Ale

Aging: Various Teabag Wines; Cherry and Vanilla Cyser; Show Mead; Various Fruit Teabag Wines; Parsnip Wine

Drinking: Apfelwein; Hard Tea; Fruit Teabag Wine.

What exactly is the difference?

Currently Brewing: Cherry and Cinnamon Teabag Apfelwein; Mango and Cinnamon Teabag Apfelwein; Yooper's Banana Wine; Coffee Wine; Disturbd Chemist's Jalapeno and Cucumber Mead; Jalapeño Cream Ale

Aging: Various Teabag Wines; Cherry and Vanilla Cyser; Show Mead; Various Fruit Teabag Wines; Parsnip Wine

Drinking: Apfelwein; Hard Tea; Fruit Teabag Wine.

http://www.jaysbrewing.com/2011/11/17/lazy-chart-for-converting-dme-lme-grain/

Soooooo, I made a booboo. I crushed up an extra half pound of Special Roast... What kind of problems will I run in to....? Hrmmmm. Shouldn't of had that beer while measuring...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Home Brew mobile app

As someone mentionned earlier, when I enter all the ingredients in Beersmith, my IBU are way lower.

What is the boil size used for the Extract version ?
Looks like it's a full 6.5+ gallons boil otherwise I get like 20 something IBU, I would need to seriously up the hops quantities to get close to 66 IBU

I guess we'll see what happens with mine... An extra .5lbs of special roast and maybe another little .5oz of zeus (what i have in my freezer) or something in there.... Gonna make a 5.5g batch. Hrmmmm.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Home Brew mobile app

Well finally popped a bottle and the wait was well worth it. Although I didn't get the color right I know it's because I used the carafa II but not the special. Still happy with the result and wanted to say thank you Scooby_Brew for the recipe. Will definitely brew this again but with the carafa II Special next time. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394736369.925457.jpg

Looking forward to brewing this tomorrow. I've varying the recipe quite a bit so I'll post back when its all brewed up.

here's my plan
Cascade single hop (i have a LB to work through)
random Carafa Special, not sure what I have
malt brown in sub for special roast, LHBS didn't have roast special
crystal 20 instead of 10 to dry and get after more color.

should be exciting.

I made this today! Biab, not on purpose but did 14 # 2 row. Everything went well added a few extrA hops to help offset. I subbed the williamette with centennial. I finished with 5.5 gal. In fermenter at 1.072 sg. Put oxygen to it and pitched 1 and 1/2 packs of 05. It's black as black can get!!!

I just brewed this beer this morning and my hydrometer broke right when I was about to take my OG. I went ahead and pitched my starter anyway. In pretty much screwed as far as knowing what the final ABV would be right?

Does it really matter? You're going to drink it anyway, right?

If you really want to see a number, assume you got the same as the recipe and calculate from that and the FG. I didn't measure OG or FG for my first dozen or so batches. Still drank every one of them.

Lol you have a point there, I'm definitely still drinking it. Are there any sturdy hydrometers as this is the second one I've broken.

So that would be good for my OG but not too much for Final gravity?

You'll probably get some differing of opinions, but, yes you can use it for FG, but you need to use a correction calculator like this one. I use it and I feel it works well enough. I'm not selling my beer, so I don't really care if I get 1.012 or 1.015. Or if my ABV is 5% or 4%. It gets you close enough and that's good enough for me.

Latest posts

Back