Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Dark Chocolate Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #41
BryanJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I was coming here to bash on this recipe and realized that I added way to much chocolate extract at the bottling stage. It ended up being around 3 oz. of the extract instead of .6, I must have missed the decimal place when I wrote down my recipe.

The beer tastes ok but the nose just ruins it. I guess ill stash the two cases away and hope it mellows with time. This was a promising beer to, im an idiot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #42
darthbooger
Recipes 

I am a mead maker and started a batch of beer for an upcoming contest I actually made this dark chocolate beer, though I did tweak it a bit **converted some to extract**, with guidance from my local brew store here in san antonio, would ust like your opinion, I have done it all the exact same minus taking out 5 pounds of the majority grain and used an extract instead, I steeped the grains, boiled the hops, kept it on a good timer, when I turned the burner off I added te cocoa powder and lactose, stirred real well, threw it all in the bucket waited for temp to drop and pitched the yeast it looks pretty healthy thus far, like I said I would just like your thoughts on this this is only my second batch of beer...

Old 07-11-2011, 01:43 AM   #43
racin_ny
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Sounds good. Once you decide if you are going to stick with homebrewing you should invest in some sort of cooler to cool your wort faster;-)

Old 07-11-2011, 03:43 AM   #44
darthbooger
Recipes 

I actually had a huge chunk of ice that I poured it over so it chilled pretty quick. I just prefer meadmaking because I can be lazier lol...

Old 07-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #45
racin_ny
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Sanitised?

Did you happen to boil the water before you made the ice? Remember everything that touches your wort after it is cooled should be sanitised in some way.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #46
darthbooger
Recipes 

As a matter of fact I did, however, just out of curiosity, what COULD happen if I had not?

Old 07-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #47
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthbooger
As a matter of fact I did, however, just out of curiosity, what COULD happen if I had not?
You could introduce contaminants. But think about it, topping off is the top off water boiled?

Old 07-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #48
WhoDey78
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I want to make this and add cherry purée to it, but don't know the best time or how much. Seems like secondary fermentor would be the time, but does anyone have a recommendation for volume of purée?

Old 07-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #49
mustafakidd
Recipes 

General rule I've heard for fruit is 2lbs/gallon - but as always, it depends on what you want the final flavor to be like and all of the other bunch of factors (temp, yeast, gravity, etc) involved.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:30 AM   #50
WhoDey78
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Wow! That's more than I would have expected. I think I'll try just a pound per gallon and see how it turns out. Worst case scenario is a little more subtle cherry than I hoped.

Quick Reply