Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Dark Chocolate Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #21
mustafakidd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Just brewed

Hey All

I just brewed this on Saturday and while I know it can take up to 72 hours and that I should take a hydrometer reading to be sure things are happening, I'm still worried.

I pitched my yeast @ about 75F. But after about 60 hours, I am finally seeing some bubbling in my airlock (about one bubble every 45 seconds or so) and almost no krausen. It took about 48 hours before any of this activity started, and only after I moved it to a warmer room - it was initially in a closet with ambient temp around 65F.

I know that some packets of Nottingham were bad - is this probably the case with mine? This beer smells amazing and I'd really hate to let it go bad - I've mixed up a starter with some leftover wyeast 1056 that I had and a bit of this stout and it's started slowly bubbling as well - should I pitch into my main vessel or just wait it out? Can the high amount of lactose (I used a full one pound) and cocoa (I used 8oz just a bit before flameout) contribute to this slow start?

Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #22
Boar Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

mmmmmmmm 72 hours thats getting a bit long but give it another 24 then I would pitch more yeast.

I have not had problems with Nottingham or any dry yeast for that matter.

I was married for 10 years before my wife knew I drank.
Then one day I made a mistake and came home from work sober

Minus33.com

Old 10-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #23
mustafakidd
Recipes 

Just as a wild update -
The yeast finally picked up on its own and was bubbling away very nicely this morning before I went to work.
When I came back from work - I was shocked to see that the carboy had blown the stopper (with airlock) out of it and sent somewhere in the vicinity of 2 gallons of my batch all over my fermenting closet.
Uh - I have NEVER seen anything like this.
I'm sure this will end up being my best brew to date and I'll never be able to recreate it.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #24
Boar Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Done that and now I use the blow off tube.
good to see that things took off for you

Minus33.com

Old 10-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #25
mustafakidd
Recipes 

Live and learn I suppose. So sad to have lost that much of the batch though. I guess I'll just have to brew it again...

Old 10-10-2010, 01:11 AM   #26
mustafakidd
Recipes 

Also forgot to ask: will the fact that almost half my batch was wasted affect the flavor of the beer much? I'm going to brew it again this week because I'm a worrier, but want to know what to expect from this first batch.

M

Old 10-22-2010, 05:29 PM   #27
mustafakidd
Recipes 

Hey Guys

Brewed up a second batch of this last week and, somehow, my OG was higher than anticipated. I am not quite sure how, but I hit 1.060. It fermented very nicely over the past week and has shown little activity lately, so I took a sample yesterday and the gravity was at 1.020. Is that a little high? Can I expect it to drop any more?

I tasted it and it was very, very, *very* good, though...so even if it doesn't drop anymore, I'm still happy.

-M

Old 10-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #28
Boar Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Not 100% sure but you mashed in at a high temp and that can give you unfermentable sugars. IE your yeast cant eat as much and thus a higher gravity. you beer will be very good ...maybe on the sweet side but that should be ok

Minus33.com

Old 10-22-2010, 05:47 PM   #29
mustafakidd
Recipes 

Hm - I'll work on hitting my mash temp better next time. My notes say that I mashed at 153 but when I went to mash out, I only raised it up to 164 instead of 168.

As mentioned, though, I guess I got lucky because it fits the style of this beer. Tastes great, too.

Thanks.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:30 PM   #30
mustafakidd
Recipes 

Hey again - just for this thread's sake, I wanted to mention that we have sampled a few of the first batch that I made and it was a big hit. Great chocolate flavor, heavy mouthfeel, and sweet/tasty with a burnt coffee sort of an aftertaste, in a good way if that makes sense. Beautiful tan creamy head, too. Great to sip.

I'd mention that I had a bit of a hard time with attenuation - I started at 1.053 and ended at 1.026. Not sure what was up, but my yeast was acting strangely throughout this whole process (see earlier message re: this first batch)... I found the beer a bit too sweet to drink more than one of in a sitting, so maybe next time I'd cut the lactose down to 3/4 lb or so.

All in all though, I wanted to say thanks for the great recipe, I'll be brewing it again in the future I'm sure.

-m

Quick Reply