Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2007, 11:51 AM   #1
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default All-Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale - All Grain

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Nottingham
Yeast Starter: Nope
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: Nope
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.051
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 39
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 Days at 68 degrees

This is my Haus Pale Ale. A very quaffable beer that is very easy to make using basic ingredients and a dry yeast.

Grain Bill
8 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
2 lbs. Vienna Malt
0.5 lb. Crystal 10L Malt

Mash
Single Infusion mash for 60 minutes at 152 degrees.
I batch sparge in a 10 gallon water cooler with a stainless braid manifold. Click here for great info on Batch Sparging.
Dough-in with 3.5 gallons of water. After 60 minutes, add 5 quarts of 175 degree water and begin vorlauf. My system only takes about 2 quarts before it clears up, then it's wide open to drain in the kettle. Have another 3.25 gallons of 175 degree water ready for the next batch sparge. You should then get 6.5 gallons to your kettle for the boil.

Mini Mash

You might be able to do a mini mash with 5 lbs. of light DME.

Heat 3.5 qts of water to ~168/169F in a pot.
Heat a gallon of water to ~170 in another pot.
Add 2lb. of Vienna and 1/2 lb. of Crystal 10L (crushed grains) to the pot with the 168/169F water and stir very throughly.
Put lid on that pot, placed in oven at 150F.
Let it sit for an hour.
Pour the water (now wort) into your brew pot through your strainer. Put grains back into pot.

Pour the 170F water into the pot where your grain is, stir throughly, let sit for 10 mins. Pour that wort into your brew pot through your strainer.

You'll get 50-60% efficiency with that partial mash method.

Add additional water, extract, and hops to the brew pot and proceed like usual.

Extract Version

Here's what I have converted for an Extract version. Vienna must be mashed, but Austin Homebrew sells Munich LME which should bring this pretty darn close to the All Grain version. Just steep your Crystal 10 L and do a full boil and follow the hop schedule.

6.5# Extra Pale LME
1.5# Munich LME
8 oz. Crystal 10L (steep)

Boil & Hops

1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

Chill to 70 to 75 degrees

Pitch with Nottingham Dry Yeast. No starter or hydration. Update! With the Nottingham shortage, Safale -05 is a great substitute and will make a great beer too. Very similar.

This ferments out very fast, so I will crash cool and keg after 1 week to 10 days. This recipe is calculated at 75% efficiency. I'm getting over 80% though with my Barley Crusher and my 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler w/stainless braid MLT.

The beer drops very clear after sitting in the kegerator for a week and looks like this.

It's my Haus Ale because it turned out to be a beer that everyone likes. It's light, crisp, dry, and very tasty which means several trips to the tapper.

You can get all the ingredients with a single click here: http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Sounds very good. I just bottled a very similar APA. Only difference was using a little less Vienna and using Columbus for bittering, Columbus + Cascade for flavor, and Cascade for aroma and dryhopping. I'm looking forward to it.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 06-16-2007, 06:23 PM   #3
Drunkensatyr

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Decided to give this one a whirl today. Thanks for the great recipe Ed !!

Old 06-25-2007, 02:35 AM   #4
SAS98M
Recipes 

EdWort,I've gotta hand it to you,This is one of the easiest batches to brew,I'm now on the third keg. People that've tasted this one keep coming back for more.
I use Cascade pellets at the specified times and also at recipe request,I don't convert for weight(hop volume) and this one turns out great every time.
I believe my efficiency is a bit low and am looking into "rolling my own" Thanks. Shane

Wine Primaries--
Cider Pimaries--
Beer Primaries--What ??-None !! again ??
Wine secondaries-2010 Clover honey mead,2011 Dandelion wine
Kegged--
Bottled--10'tomato wine,10' Plum,09' Plum
Bottled/Conditioning--Munich Lager brewed winter 06'
On deck(grains in house)--Yooper's "Fat Sam",Bourbon barrel ale
Gone--07 ciders,07dandelion,07plum

BIG DADDY BREWING CO.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:00 PM   #5
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS98M
EdWort,I've gotta hand it to you,This is one of the easiest batches to brew,I'm now on the third keg. People that've tasted this one keep coming back for more.
Thanks. That was my goal. A very drinkable beer, easy to make, and appeals to a large range of people. Time to brew some this weekend!

Old 07-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed a (modified) batch also. Figured I'd give it a try. I can always share it if it doesn't suit me.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This looks like a great recipe. I wonder if using gleneagle's maris otter and munich instead of 2-row and vienna would eff it up too much...

Hey, Ed, did you adjust your BC rollers from the factory crush settings? Just curious. I've used mine several times and I'm getting mid-70's efficiency.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 07-03-2007, 06:29 PM   #8
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hmm, I think this will be my next brew. Quick turn-around sounds like a good plan. Thanks for sharing!

Also, I adjusted my barley crusher from factory setting. I increased the gap slightly. The factory crusy was too fine in my opinion. I got grain in the wort no matter how much I vourlofed. My efficiency also went up with a bit courser crush.

Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

Old 07-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #9
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by knipknup
Also, I adjusted my barley crusher from factory setting. I increased the gap slightly. The factory crusy was too fine in my opinion. I got grain in the wort no matter how much I vourlofed. My efficiency also went up with a bit courser crush.
I adjusted my Barley Crusher in the same manner. My settings went from 12 O'clock to 1 O'clock and life is good.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 07-03-2007, 06:46 PM   #10
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
This looks like a great recipe. I wonder if using gleneagle's maris otter and munich instead of 2-row and vienna would eff it up too much....
Thanks. Using MO and Munich would make a different beer. The munich malt would make it much more heavier and maltier. It would also make a darker beer going from 4L to 10L in color.

The MO would not make much of a difference other than increasing the price of the batch.

My goal in devising this recipe was to make a beer that was very drinkable, easy to make, while using the fewest, yet most cost effective ingredients; hence dry yeast, only one hop type, mostly 2 row Pale, etc.

I'm sure you would make a good beer, but it would be darker & maltier with the Munich.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

People Like This 

Quick Reply