American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
Nope
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 Days at 68 degrees
HausPaleAleweb.jpg

This is my Haus Pale Ale. A very quaffable beer that is very easy to make using basic ingredients and a dry yeast.

Grain Bill
8 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
2 lbs. Vienna Malt
0.5 lb. Crystal 10L Malt

Mash
Single Infusion mash for 60 minutes at 152 degrees.
I batch sparge in a 10 gallon water cooler with a stainless braid manifold. Click here for great info on Batch Sparging.
Dough-in with 3.5 gallons of water. After 60 minutes, add 5 quarts of 175 degree water and begin vorlauf. My system only takes about 2 quarts before it clears up, then it's wide open to drain in the kettle. Have another 3.25 gallons of 175 degree water ready for the next batch sparge. You should then get 6.5 gallons to your kettle for the boil.

Mini Mash

You might be able to do a mini mash with 5 lbs. of light DME.

Heat 3.5 qts of water to ~168/169F in a pot.
Heat a gallon of water to ~170 in another pot.
Add 2lb. of Vienna and 1/2 lb. of Crystal 10L (crushed grains) to the pot with the 168/169F water and stir very throughly.
Put lid on that pot, placed in oven at 150F.
Let it sit for an hour.
Pour the water (now wort) into your brew pot through your strainer. Put grains back into pot.

Pour the 170F water into the pot where your grain is, stir throughly, let sit for 10 mins. Pour that wort into your brew pot through your strainer.

You'll get 50-60% efficiency with that partial mash method.

Add additional water, extract, and hops to the brew pot and proceed like usual.

Extract Version

Here's what I have converted for an Extract version. Vienna must be mashed, but Austin Homebrew sells Munich LME which should bring this pretty darn close to the All Grain version. Just steep your Crystal 10 L and do a full boil and follow the hop schedule.

6.5# Extra Pale LME
1.5# Munich LME
8 oz. Crystal 10L (steep)

Boil & Hops

1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

Chill to 70 to 75 degrees

Pitch with Nottingham Dry Yeast. No starter or hydration. Update! With the Nottingham shortage, Safale -05 is a great substitute and will make a great beer too. Very similar.

This ferments out very fast, so I will crash cool and keg after 1 week to 10 days. This recipe is calculated at 75% efficiency. I'm getting over 80% though with my Barley Crusher and my 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler w/stainless braid MLT.

The beer drops very clear after sitting in the kegerator for a week and looks like this.

HausAle3.jpg

It's my Haus Ale because it turned out to be a beer that everyone likes. It's light, crisp, dry, and very tasty which means several trips to the tapper.

You can get all the ingredients with a single click here: http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com

Sounds very good. I just bottled a very similar APA. Only difference was using a little less Vienna and using Columbus for bittering, Columbus + Cascade for flavor, and Cascade for aroma and dryhopping. I'm looking forward to it.

EdWort,I've gotta hand it to you,This is one of the easiest batches to brew,I'm now on the third keg. People that've tasted this one keep coming back for more.
I use Cascade pellets at the specified times and also at recipe request,I don't convert for weight(hop volume) and this one turns out great every time.
I believe my efficiency is a bit low and am looking into "rolling my own" Thanks. Shane

SAS98M said:
EdWort,I've gotta hand it to you,This is one of the easiest batches to brew,I'm now on the third keg. People that've tasted this one keep coming back for more.

Thanks. That was my goal. A very drinkable beer, easy to make, and appeals to a large range of people. Time to brew some this weekend!

This looks like a great recipe. I wonder if using gleneagle's maris otter and munich instead of 2-row and vienna would eff it up too much...

Hey, Ed, did you adjust your BC rollers from the factory crush settings? Just curious. I've used mine several times and I'm getting mid-70's efficiency.

Hmm, I think this will be my next brew. Quick turn-around sounds like a good plan. Thanks for sharing!

Also, I adjusted my barley crusher from factory setting. I increased the gap slightly. The factory crusy was too fine in my opinion. I got grain in the wort no matter how much I vourlofed. My efficiency also went up with a bit courser crush.

knipknup said:
Also, I adjusted my barley crusher from factory setting. I increased the gap slightly. The factory crusy was too fine in my opinion. I got grain in the wort no matter how much I vourlofed. My efficiency also went up with a bit courser crush.

I adjusted my Barley Crusher in the same manner. My settings went from 12 O'clock to 1 O'clock and life is good.

Evan! said:
This looks like a great recipe. I wonder if using gleneagle's maris otter and munich instead of 2-row and vienna would eff it up too much....

Thanks. Using MO and Munich would make a different beer. The munich malt would make it much more heavier and maltier. It would also make a darker beer going from 4L to 10L in color.

The MO would not make much of a difference other than increasing the price of the batch.

My goal in devising this recipe was to make a beer that was very drinkable, easy to make, while using the fewest, yet most cost effective ingredients; hence dry yeast, only one hop type, mostly 2 row Pale, etc.

I'm sure you would make a good beer, but it would be darker & maltier with the Munich.

Yeah, this looks similar to the beer I have been working on. I just wanted to development my own AG beer that is very straightforward to do and does not get overly complicated, but yields good results based on the quality of the ingredients inputted into the procedure.

Moderator edit: no racial slurs!

Edwort-

Been lurking on this forum for a good while, and I gotta say I appreciate a lot of the info you post. This recipe looks like a tasty one...easy and cheap too...I got all the ingredients for like $17! Just wanted to know how much water per lb of grain you mash with on this recipe, and how much you generally sparge with. Thanks!:mug:

Hawkie333 said:
Just wanted to know how much water per lb of grain you mash with on this recipe, and how much you generally sparge with. Thanks!:mug:

Thanks, I batch sparge 1.33 qts. per pound. It's basically 3.5 gallons.

Alright, game on....this brew day was probably one of the most stress free days I've had. Instead of 4 additions I chose to sprinkle a few hop pellets in every few mins or so (A la Dogfishhead) saving a fair amount for flameout. Hopefully this will create that awesome aroma. I expect this fermentation to be a quick one, as dry yeast can be hellaciously active. Will post results!

Hawkie333 said:
Alright, game on....this brew day was probably one of the most stress free days I've had. Instead of 4 additions I chose to sprinkle a few hop pellets in every few mins or so (A la Dogfishhead) saving a fair amount for flameout. Hopefully this will create that awesome aroma. I expect this fermentation to be a quick one, as dry yeast can be hellaciously active. Will post results!

You will. Did you drink your hydrometer jar?

You know I did. :cross: The aroma was pretty good, I have to say. We'll see how the yeast affect the whole equation. Very little lag time, probably less than 8hrs (I don't know, I was asleep) and a good size krausen. I had just enough time to replace the airlock with a blow off before it went up into the neck.

On a side note, I always try to taste hydrometer samples...I find it especially useful in diagnosing at what point in the process something may have gone wrong.

I mash at 1.25 quarts per pound of grain- and I assume that Edwort does, too, or around that amount. I use Beersmith software which does the calculations for me, and they have a free trial if you wanted to give it a try.

And he said he sparges at 1.33 qts per pound, so that 3.5 gallons there is the sparge water.

I want 6.5 gallons to the kettle and I'll boil off a gallon.

I mash in at 1.33 quarts per pounds, so that's about 3.5 gallons. I batch Sparge, so I'll need 5 quarts (to account for water absorption by the grain) add to the end of the mash for the first run off of 3.25 gallons. Then add 3.25 gallons back to the cooler, stir well, wait 10 minutes, and drain again. Don't forget to vorlauf.

EdWort said:
I want 6.5 gallons to the kettle and I'll boil off a gallon.

I mash in at 1.33 quarts per pounds, so that's about 3.5 gallons. I batch Sparge, so I'll need 5 quarts (to account for water absorption by the grain) add to the end of the mash for the first run off of 3.25 gallons. Then add 3.25 gallons back to the cooler, stir well, wait 10 minutes, and drain again. Don't forget to vorlauf.
Sweet thanks.
I'm testing the MLT right now to see how well it holds up to 200* water and to make sure there is no leaks at that temp or after.
Hoping to do this up in a few weeks when the SWMBO is in Afica on business and I have a whole two weeks to myself. :rockin:

This is going to be so cool. I can't wait. :ban:

Allright-

Just pulled her out of the primary after 11 days. OG= 1.048, FG= 1.008, so I'm looking at about 5.3% ABV. I did a lot of things right this time, using techniques I picked up from all you EAC's :D : I got a good whirlpool with a good cold break. I also crash cooled this time. The yeast cake on the bottom was quite dense, and the beer was pretty darn clear coming out of the siphon. It tasted great! I can't wait to see what I get after a week of aging!:ban:

Hey, so, I tried my test bottle (the remainder is still in the carboy, I just dropped a few carbtabs in a bottle and filled it with my thief) last night.

Great job, Ed...love it, love it, love it!

Would you reccomend this as a good first AG batch?

Sounds like it's a tasty drop and recipe looks nice and simple.

Still collecting gear at the moment but I want a recipe on hand for the big day.

Cheers!

denimglen said:
Would you reccomend this as a good first AG batch?

But of course! Folks seem to be having good luck with it and are enjoying it based on these posts.

It's an all around great tasting beer, but easy and inexpensive to make and easy to replicate batch after batch. That's why I call it my Haus Pale Ale. It's always on tap and you can count on the consistant experience. :mug:

kappclark said:
Is there a PM recipe for this beer - I really want to try it..

You might be able to do a mini mash with 5 lbs. of light DME.

Heat 3.5 qts of water to ~168/169F in a pot.
Heat a gallon of water to ~170 in another pot.
Add 2lb. of Vienna and 1/2 lb. of Crystal 10L (crushed grains) to the pot with the 168/169F water and stir very throughly.
Put lid on that pot, placed in oven at 150F.
Let it sit for an hour.
Pour the water (now wort) into your brew pot through your strainer. Put grains back into pot.

Pour the 170F water into the pot where your grain is, stir throughly, let sit for 10 mins. Pour that wort into your brew pot through your strainer.

You'll get 50-60% efficiency with that partial mash method.

Add additional water, extract, and hops to the brew pot and proceed like usual.

Let me know how it turns out.

Thanks!

I have used FlyGuy's 5 gal MLT sucessfully on my last PM ... very easy, so maybe I will get in touch with AHS and get those ingredients !

I used this as a template - but used carapils instead of the 10 crystal, and added a 1/2# of munich. We shall see! thanks Ed!

Hey Ed!

Going to brew this tomorrow, but my LHBS does not stock Vienna malt. Only myself and one other guy have asked for it, so currently he will not bring it in. Can you recommend a substitute? I have the following malt on hand:

Munich Malt
German Pils
Marris Otter
Amber Malt
Light Crystal
Caramunich

I was thinking maybe a touch of of Munich, and fill it out with Marris Otter, but my recipe formulation skills are currently a little underdeveloped. Can you lend a hand?

Cheers,

Rhino

go with the Munich malt. That will be the closest. Make sure it is not a munich dark malt though.

Can't wait to brew this as my first AG batch on Sunday! But a quick question: What BJCP category would you consider this to be in? I just downloaded/installed BeerSmith and I'm trying to figure out how to add it as a recipe. My best guess is 6A American Pale Ale. What say you?

EDIT: Another quick question: What kind of water profile would you suggest for this?

Thalon said:
Can't wait to brew this as my first AG batch on Sunday! But a quick question: What BJCP category would you consider this to be in? I just downloaded/installed BeerSmith and I'm trying to figure out how to add it as a recipe. My best guess is 6A American Pale Ale. What say you?

EDIT: Another quick question: What kind of water profile would you suggest for this?
I would not get into messing with your water profile just yet. If your water is good to drink it will be fine for the beer. If not, then get bottled water.

Changing your water profile is a whole other ball game.

Well I've been brewing with straight RO water, which has basically nothing in it. I have read up on it and that works for extract brews, but I may miss the mash pH if there's not the correct amount of ions in the water. I know I've seen Yuri post that he uses RO water and adds brewing salts for a particular style, that's what I'd like to do as well. Just need to know what the target profile is for this beer so I can choose which salts to add. :mug:

I call it an American Pale Ale for BJCP styles. You'll want to use some brewing salts if you use RO water.

Ed Wort:
In honor of the great feedback on this, I want to start the AG thing with your recipe ..

Like they say, you never forget your first time. Thiswill be good, I know.

My question is - will the 10.5 lbs of grain work in the 5 gallon cooler I have ? I think it should work, but I want to be sure !

Safe brewing!

kappclark said:
Ed Wort:
In honor of the great feedback on this, I want to start the AG thing with your recipe ..

Like they say, you never forget your first time. This will be good, I know.

My question is - will the 10.5 lbs of grain work in the 5 gallon cooler I have ? I think it should work, but I want to be sure !

Safe brewing!

Yep. 10.5 gallons will take up 4.12 gallons of space in your cooler. You may have to do two batch runs to get 6.5 gallons of wort.

Here's a calculation page you should find helpful.

It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D

Back