Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - California Common- HBT Comp winner 1st place

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,769
Liked 4908 Times on 3560 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Default


Sounds tasty! I use biscuit malt as a sub for victory malt. Or, you could toast some two-row in the oven, and get a very similar result if you can't find victory malt.

I'm going to be making this again this week. I love this beer!

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 11:59 PM   #12
kenche
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 311
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


Yooper,

I am considering making this with a friend for 'teach a friend to homebrew' day as it is his favorite beer.

He really wants the beer to be ready by December 20th. That leaves exactly six weeks, which seems a tad optimistic. However, here is my plan:

Ferment for 2 weeks at 63
Secondary for 2 weeks at mid 50's (dependent on ambient temps)
Cold crash, and carbonate for 2 weeks at 38
Drink

I will likely lend him a CO2 setup to avoid bottle conditioning time.

Do you think we will have a nice drinkable beer with that schedule. Alternatively I am considering just using an ale yeast with the schedule.

Thanks for any advice

__________________
kenche is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2009, 01:09 AM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,769
Liked 4908 Times on 3560 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by kenche View Post
Yooper,

I am considering making this with a friend for 'teach a friend to homebrew' day as it is his favorite beer.

He really wants the beer to be ready by December 20th. That leaves exactly six weeks, which seems a tad optimistic. However, here is my plan:

Ferment for 2 weeks at 63
Secondary for 2 weeks at mid 50's (dependent on ambient temps)
Cold crash, and carbonate for 2 weeks at 38
Drink

I will likely lend him a CO2 setup to avoid bottle conditioning time.

Do you think we will have a nice drinkable beer with that schedule. Alternatively I am considering just using an ale yeast with the schedule.

Thanks for any advice

That sounds like it would work. I wouldn't use an ale yeast- the flavor really comes from the specific lager yeast, but fermented at ale temperatures- for the true "steam beer". The northern brewer hops, and the yeast are the defining characteristics of this beer style.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #14
chumprock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,043
Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default


I brewed this same recipe for the HBT competition which netted me a tie for 3rd in the category. The overall complaint from the judges was a "mustiness" which was not present in the keg so I have to assume its got something to do with my bottling process...

Thanks for this recipe, Yooper!

__________________
chumprock is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 12:28 AM   #15
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 5,420
Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default


Couple of questions on this recipe Yooper?

What size starter did you make?

Have you or has anyone brewed this or similar using a Euro lager yeast @ true lager temps and if so how did it change the beer? Really hate messing with starters but will if it becomes a completely different beer.

__________________
samc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 12:41 AM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,769
Liked 4908 Times on 3560 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
Couple of questions on this recipe Yooper?

What size starter did you make?

Have you or has anyone brewed this or similar using a Euro lager yeast @ true lager temps and if so how did it change the beer? Really hate messing with starters but will if it becomes a completely different beer.
It was a small-ish starter, since I was pressed for time. Probably 1L or so.

If it was made as a true lager, I'd use a lager yeast and make a 4L starter. It would definitely change the beer, though, and probably not in a way I'd want. One of the defining hallmarks of this style is the slightly fruity flavor from fermenting the lager yeast at ale temperatures.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2009, 09:44 PM   #17
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,364
Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default yeast


This recipe has WY 2112 (Cal. Lager) and your other Cal. Common recipe listed WLP 810 (SF Lager).
Any reason why you switched this up? Do you have a preference (and why?)

thanks in advance!
Wendy

__________________
midfielder5 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2009, 09:53 PM   #18
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,769
Liked 4908 Times on 3560 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by midfielder5 View Post
This recipe has WY 2112 (Cal. Lager) and your other Cal. Common recipe listed WLP 810 (SF Lager).
Any reason why you switched this up? Do you have a preference (and why?)

thanks in advance!
Wendy
I only switched because the online homebrew store I bought from had Wyeast, and not White Labs! And I kept using it, because I washed it and used it a couple of times. I really don't have a preference either way- and I'm not sure I could tell the difference in the beers even side-by-side to be honest. It's probable that the strains differ, but I don't think it'd be a meaningful difference.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2009, 11:18 PM   #19
defenestrate
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
defenestrate's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: edgewater
Posts: 1,085
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default


do you recommend any dry lager yeast, or just go with the liquid and starter? if so, would one packet re-hydrated work or do you need to go with two?

maybe i'll just go with us-05...i've had some fairly lagerlike ales before with it if i can keep it cool enough.

__________________
(dē-fěn'ĭ-strāt') To throw out of a window.
defenestrate is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2009, 11:33 PM   #20
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,769
Liked 4908 Times on 3560 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by defenestrate View Post
do you recommend any dry lager yeast, or just go with the liquid and starter? if so, would one packet re-hydrated work or do you need to go with two?

maybe i'll just go with us-05...i've had some fairly lagerlike ales before with it if i can keep it cool enough.
I've never used dry lager yeast, so I couldn't tell you! One of the defining characteristics of a steam beer is a lager yeast fermented at ale temperatures, so I'm not sure if the S05 would give you want you're looking for.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All-Grain - CAP (HBT Comp Winner for 4a and 6a) Bokonon Pilsner 1 06-18-2013 03:20 AM
All-Grain - HBT BJCP comp winning California Common Tonedef131 Amber Hybrid Beer 7 05-05-2013 04:24 AM
All-Grain - Witless, Witmore, and Wit wit (HBT Comp winner 16e) Bokonon Belgian and French Ale 0 10-12-2009 05:22 AM
All-Grain - BM's Your-Wit-Ness Belgain Wit - HBT Comp 2nd place category 16A winner - 2009 Edcculus Belgian and French Ale 0 10-11-2009 04:07 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS