Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > California Common (Anchor Steam Clone) Extract and AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2008, 02:18 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

I thought I had posted this (and if I have, and it turns up, sorry!) but this won second place in the Titletown homebrew contest in Green Bay, WI. They must have combined categories, though, because the first place winner was American Lite Lager (category 1A I believe) and I entered as 7B (amber hybrid). I don't know my score yet, so I'll post that when I know.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2008, 01:30 PM   #12
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Bump. Yoop, what ever came of this? score, notes, etc?

Old 10-07-2008, 09:11 AM   #13
brewjunky
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That's literally the same recipe of the BYO magazine

Old 10-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewjunky View Post
That's literally the same recipe of the BYO magazine
It is? Hops too? Strange. It is pretty generic, but I thought the hops out before just putting them in there. I think that more later hops will be better, but haven't tried it yet.

One thing that I might change is after listening to Jamil's podcast on steam beer, he said something like "it's all about the toasty". So, in the next batch I toasted about 2 pounds of the malt in the oven. I didn't update the recipe, though, because I didn't really notice it. Maybe some victory malt would make the difference.

Let's see- I have the tasting notes from the contest here. It was score a 33, with being gigged on "very light hop aroma initially, followed by a nice toasty character and light caramel that quickly fades." "Primary flavor is peppery hops, malty character present but dominated by hops. Low hop bitterness". "Add some special roast and/or 60L caramel" "Increase your aroma hop charge, or dryhop in secondary" "Slightly increase your bittering hops" "Foundation for a great beer is here- it will take only a little tweaking to make an excellent beer". One judge said it seemed underattenuated, another judge said to raise the mash temp to get more dextrins from the malt, so I figure it cancelled each other otu.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:46 PM   #15
Picobrew
Biscuit Enthusiast

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just need to go get some NB hops from the LHBS today and I'm ready to brew this. I love Anchor's beers. I have never done a lager before, so I am hoping to ease in with this brew. I'm going to try to ferment this in my garage in a 1/4bbl sanke, and hopefully it doesn't get too warm! If it goes above 60, am I going to have weird flavors?

I'm going to use Wyeast 2112 which says "Temperature Range: 58-68° F (14-20° C)"

Is this the same as the White Labs?

Old 03-26-2009, 10:47 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picobrew View Post
I just need to go get some NB hops from the LHBS today and I'm ready to brew this. I love Anchor's beers. I have never done a lager before, so I am hoping to ease in with this brew. I'm going to try to do this in my garage, and hopefully it doesn't get too warm! If it goes above 60, am I going to have weird flavors?
No, it's a steam beer so 60 is fine. Even a bit warmer is ok, but I like it fermented cooler and then lagered for a bit.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:50 PM   #17
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have my copy of this in the refrigerator right now. I'll probably keg it this weekend. Had some issue when brewing this due to a clogged diptube, but it looks like my hands were sanitized well enough. The hydro sample last week was awesome.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:54 PM   #18
Picobrew
Biscuit Enthusiast

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
No, it's a steam beer so 60 is fine. Even a bit warmer is ok, but I like it fermented cooler and then lagered for a bit.
How many batches of this have you made? Have you figured out anything for the dry hopping, or is it just best left as-is? I have a ton of random hops right now and would be willing to try something if you had a suggestion.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:00 PM   #19
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picobrew View Post
How many batches of this have you made? Have you figured out anything for the dry hopping, or is it just best left as-is? I have a ton of random hops right now and would be willing to try something if you had a suggestion.
I've made it a number of times. I did like it dry hopped, but I'm a hophead, so that's to be expected! I actually liked the original best until I got the judges score sheets asking for more hops, so I did increase them slightly in one batch, bringing the IBUs to about 35/40. I toasted some two-row for one batch, but didn't really get any toasty notes from it.

I still think I prefer the original, though!

Old 03-27-2009, 12:44 AM   #20
Picobrew
Biscuit Enthusiast

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I've made it a number of times. I did like it dry hopped, but I'm a hophead, so that's to be expected! I actually liked the original best until I got the judges score sheets asking for more hops, so I did increase them slightly in one batch, bringing the IBUs to about 35/40. I toasted some two-row for one batch, but didn't really get any toasty notes from it.

I still think I prefer the original, though!
Ok I'm going to do the original. I just went to lhbs to get the nb hops and ended up spending $75 on a new scale and a bunch of other random stuff. Oh well, at the pub now enjoying a tasty local flanders red.

Quick Reply