Surf & Turf Roulade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was watching Good Eats the other day and they were making a Roulade (which is a browned flank steak rolled with a stuffing of blended croutons, eggs, veggies, ets).

Sounds good, right? Yep...now I want to make one. The problem is, I want to put crab dip as the stuffing and wrap a big steak around it.

Anyone do roulades before? Any ideas as to what 'sauce' to bake with the roulade? I was thinking a chowder. In good eats, Alton used tomato paste or something, but that obviously doesn't work for crab.

Ideas??? :)

How about a cream sauce? Kind of what would be otherwise like the base for cream of crab? If that's too much then maybe just the crab meat, etc. on the inside and the base on the outside?

A lot of restaurants have crab artichoke dip. You may consider looking for a recipe for that and then making a cream sauce with similar spices and ingredients to pour over the top. Just an idea. YUM. Serve with a crusty bread and a caesar salad.

Hmm, I'm not sure if this would work, I'm just making stuff up: Saute a shallot in butter. Splash in a little white wine to deglaze. Then add heavy cream and reduce slightly. Season. Throw the whole shebang into a blender with a big hunk of cream cheese. Squeeze in a lemon and hit the power.

I'm not sure how that would stand up to baking. Could separate or something maybe? Anyway chop up some fresh parsley and throw it on everything once its ready to serve.

How about a cream sauce? Kind of what would be otherwise like the base for cream of crab? If that's too much then maybe just the crab meat, etc. on the inside and the base on the outside?

Yeah, that's where I came up with the idea of like a chowder base. Is the cream of xxxx the same as chowder?

Yeah, that's where I came up with the idea of like a chowder base. Is the cream of xxxx the same as chowder?

IIRC, despite the similarities cream soups have a little more heavy cream and half-and-half as compared to chowders. Chowders tend to be "chunkier" with ingredients as well.

But I ain't a professional chef so...;)

Hmm, I'm not sure if this would work, I'm just making stuff up: Saute a shallot in butter. Splash in a little white wine to deglaze. Then add heavy cream and reduce slightly. Season. Throw the whole shebang into a blender with a big hunk of cream cheese. Squeeze in a lemon and hit the power.

I'm not sure how that would stand up to baking. Could separate or something maybe? Anyway chop up some fresh parsley and throw it on everything once its ready to serve.

an immersion blender would work too, and be a lot easier, if you have one.:ban:

I personally love roulade- my mom is from Germany and makes them every so often. The sauce she puts them in is a brown gravy made from the juices from the meat after it has been cooked. I don't know much about the exact recipe, but I know it is a brown gravy of sorts made with flour. I will call her soon and ask what she does.

It is delicious.

I watched that exact same episode the other night. I think something with bleu chesse would probably be pretty good. Maybe a bernaise with a little bleu cheese sprikled on top.

How about crimini mushrooms, a shallot, a clove of garlic, and fresh thyme all minced fine & sauteed in real butter, deglaze with a splash of champagne; add a bit of heavy cream & reduce. Maybe a dash of fresh ground black pepper? It's just an idea. Regards, GF.

I'd go Bernaise. Bake your roulade and throw the bernaise over it, hit it in the broiler real quick, it'll be delicious. Of course so would any of the Hollandaise derivatives. So would a Mornay or Bercy. You've got a lot of options here. As a note, you're going to want to modify a "crab dip" style recipe so that it doesn't turn all runny and creamy. You're going to want this to firm up a bit in the middle so it doesn't run out when you slice it. Also, consider taking a nice "big steak" and slicing it clean down the middle so you have two thinner steaks. It will cook up quicker, be easier to roll, and you get to do it twice so you can play with the filling.

Back