Pork Belly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
I love my wife. This Fresh Direct order she got a nice pack of beautiful pork belly for me to play with. While I dont have a wok, Im thinking about getting it nice and crispy and serving it up with some green beans cooked in soy sauce and garlic over white rice. Any other ideas? Winner gets a picture of what I made and a shout-out.

I have been looking at this recipe for a change of pace with pork.
Instead of posting the entire recipe, this is the sandwich name, in the Fine Cooking web site.
Bunk’s Pork Belly Cubano Sandwich

You don't need a wok, nor are you required to go Asian with it. In my restaurant, we sous vide it and then follow up with a post-sear in a hot pan. Most home cooks do not have sous vide equipment, but similar results can be had by using this method:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOWFlp0M7QM[/ame]

Make sure you remove the inedible, hard rind/skin that doesn't break down when cooking. Sometimes this is already removed; most times you have to shave it off.

After you slow cook it, get a black steel pan or cast iron skillet screaming hot. Rub the pork belly with oil, season both sides with smoked paprika, fresh ground black pepper, kosher salt (rosemary salt would be nice), and place in the hot pan, pressing down to ensure a proper sear without burning it. Sear the ends and sides if you desire crispiness all over the outside. Flip and finish in the oven to warm through as you plate your side dishes and sauce. It goes well with sweet apple glaze, root vegetable puree, and crisp greens with an acidic dressing to counter the fat content of the pork belly.

That combo of flavors works so well because you get: Sweet, Salty, Acidic, Rich, Fatty, Smoky... you also get various textures.

Ah, I'm showing my ignorance of the ingredient here. I thought I could give it a nice saute and a quick half-hour braze and go from there...

I forgot to take pics but I made a kind of spicy pork belly stirfry after a 30 minute boil and an intensive sear/sweat/salting I got some garlic, haricots verts and some chilis going in a little sesame oil. Then I hit it with a bit of hot chili oil, soy, and ginger.

It was pretty ok over white rice, but I think I should have paid more attention to the advice given here.

It really does well cooking low and slow - 250-275 for hours.

Score it in a grid then rub it with salt, pepper, thyme, wherever you like first. After about 3 hours, the skin will get puffy.

Then start brushing it with some kind of glaze every 10 minutes for the last 30 minutes. Then let it rest 30 minutes.

For the glaze, pork loves bourbon. And honey. And molasses. And Asian flavors like hoisin, chili, rice wine vinegar.

Just suggestions for next time. I don't know how people cool that or shoulder steaks quickly. Never works for me.

I forgot to take pics but I made a kind of spicy pork belly stirfry after a 30 minute boil and an intensive sear/sweat/salting I got some garlic, haricots verts and some chilis going in a little sesame oil. Then I hit it with a bit of hot chili oil, soy, and ginger.

It was pretty ok over white rice, but I think I should have paid more attention to the advice given here.

Sounds like a tasty dish you made Creamy, as long as you enjoyed it, that's what counts.
Regards, GF.

I've got honey & molasses left from the kottbusser. And I need to make the newer PM version of my Whiskely Stout. Maybe save those to make the pork belly with a sauce from left over honey, molasses, bourbon & some earthy seasonings with sea salt & pepper?

I've got honey & molasses left from the kottbusser. And I need to make the newer PM version of my Whiskely Stout. Maybe save those to make the pork belly with a sauce from left over honey, molasses, bourbon & some earthy seasonings with sea salt & pepper?

Can't go wrong with that.

i cooked some pork belly yesterday. normally i would give it longer to cook but i only decided at the last minute. so, cut into large cubes (~4x4cm), rubbed with lots of salt, black pepper, into a vac bag. cooked in water bath at 70c, all day, maybe 10-11 hours. then patted dry and fried in a medium hot pan, first the fatty side down to render some of the fat. then slowly browned all sides. the cooking liquid from the vac bag made the base for a simple sauce; reduced white wine and sherry, shallots, and the cooking juices, finished with butter. served with a puy lentil, beet and smoked chorizo dish, and freshly pickled shallot and cauliflower slices. it was really (honestly) delicious. if you're into that kind of thing.

Back