How to handle a giant ham hock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

podz

Reaction score
I've got a giant ham hock in my freezer. Out of my long ham hock eating career, I've never seen anything like this one. I'm serious, it weighs like 3.5 pounds. It's so big that I can't even fit it inside my Le Creuset dutch oven. It doesn't fit inside of my crock pot. It doesn't fit inside my biggest stainless steel kettle, either.

I'd like to use it in pea soup or some white beans, but I need to break it down before getting it into the pot. I don't own any motorized saws. Should I try to hacksaw it in half? While it's still frozen, half-way frozen, or thawed? Alternatively, I could just bake it in the oven first but I really like the flavor the bones give to the beans.

Suggestions?

I've got a giant ham hock in my freezer. Out of my long ham hock eating career, I've never seen anything like this one. I'm serious, it weighs like 3.5 pounds. It's so big that I can't even fit it inside my Le Creuset dutch oven. It doesn't fit inside of my crock pot. It doesn't fit inside my biggest stainless steel kettle, either.

I'd like to use it in pea soup or some white beans, but I need to break it down before getting it into the pot. I don't own any motorized saws. Should I try to hacksaw it in half? While it's still frozen, half-way frozen, or thawed? Alternatively, I could just bake it in the oven first but I really like the flavor the bones give to the beans.

Suggestions?
Iv'e used a hack saw i have, I don't tell anyone ( now iv'e slipped)
The only problem with a hacksaw is they put a coating on them to prevent binding (in the US at least) if you could remove this coating I see no issue.
I have always said the bone is the best part of a ham:D

I would bake it in the oven for a while until you can break it apart....then shut the oven door completely til its done....

Or a big fire in the back yard?

Or put it in your biggest pot with the end sticking out and turn it every few hours....has to be a way!

This is a large ham hock.. I love throwing one in a pot of pinto beans that are slowly cooked throughout the day. The flavor the ham hock adds to the beans cannot be beat. If you need the hock cut into a smaller size, I would go with the first option you mention. You can use a hacksaw, preferably with a stainless steel blade (no paint) and 18 teeth or less per inch on the blade, for easier cutting. I would definitely cut while it is still frozen.

Most mom and pop hardware stores (here in the us at least) have meat saws, think I gave $25 for mine.

Honestly I'd just go buy a saw, clean it well, and use it.

Is the ham hock smoked yet, I will guess it is. Do you have any kind of a pot you could put it in partially, and with what is left sticking out, make some kind of a foil cap to keep the flavor and steam in. 3 or 4 hours, it should be like butter tender. And then the meat will be falling off, but the flavor of that bone has just started coming through, and all the lovely collagen that come with it.

No, this one isn't smoked. Rare to find them like that here - fresh, unsmoked and unsawed. I bought it because it was really cheap.

Yeah, something like that. But first, I'm gonna try to find those stainless steel hacksaw blades at Bauhaus. I really doubt that they are available, but worth it to have a look.

No, this one isn't smoked. Rare to find them like that here - fresh, unsmoked and unsawed. I bought it because it was really cheap.

It's probably not a ham hock but a pork shank. I was in Germany and Belgium this fall and saw (and ate) a lot of pork shanks. I would braise it whole with some stock and aromatics in a low oven. Or, cure it into a ham, then slow roast it over a wood fire. I had that in Belgian and it was unbelievably good!

My family is comprised of BBQ fanatics. Pig bones make the best bean soup. Personally I wouldn't cut the meat up. Cook the entire piece on your grill.
Set up your grill for indirect heat. Build a tent from aluminum foil at 45 degrees from one side of the meat to the other with the open side towards the heat. Make sure the side with the fat is facing up.

Make a pouch out of aluminum foil and fill it with wood chips. (the grocery store should have them, apple and cherry compliment pork well. Hickory and oak wont compliment your beans.) If you don't have a nearby grocery you can always choose today to prune your rose bushes.

Either way, soak your chips, put them in the pouch. Punch a few holes in the pouch. Place over the heated side of your grill at 215 Degrees for about 4.5 hours or until the meat is done.

Use a simple mop sauce of Worcestershire, beer, vinegar, salt pepper and maybe some red pepper to keep the fat from crisping up. As the meat cooks the fat will melt through your meat and flavor will seep into your bone.

Makes a mighty fine bowl of beans.

The whole process takes about 12 Budweisers, or three to four beers.

Latest posts

Back