Sanke Keg Conversion and Polish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

br1dge

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Before I get into pics from my first build I have to say thank you to everyone on HBT. I am a new brewer and was turned onto the site by a couple buddies that I am now brewing with. In just the last two weeks I have spent hours upon hours on the site and have learned an incredible amount. Looking forward to putting all of this aquired knowledge into action.

Without further adieu...

I started with an old beat up (legally aquired) Keg that was on my back deck for about 2 years.

I first removed the Keg spear. This keg was easy to remove the spear. Pop off the ring and a slight turn and it pulled right out. Next I filled the Keg up with PBW solution and let it sit over night to clean out the nastiness that had been sitting in this keg for years.

With the inside clean I began working on the outside. I used a combination of WD-40 (Worked pretty well but took a while) and Paint thinner (Worked well) to begin removing old stickers and adhesive. I thought I was finished and moved on only to find out I didnt do quite as good a job of prepping the keg as I should have. I will get to this later.

Next step was to begin polishing the keg. For this I used a 4.5" Angle grinder and 3 levels of polish. First is the Gator Fine pad, second is #2 Polish followed by #5 polish. I bought all of these at Lowe's. I tried later to find these at Home Depot and they did not carry them. When polishing a keg you should always make sure to wear safety equipment. Keep in mind that you are basically sanding SS and this means lots of little particles in the air. You do not want to be swallowing these or getting them in your eyes so eye protection and some type of mask is highly recommended. I also wore a hat, gloves and was basically covered from head to toe. Some of this had to do with the fact that I was dealing with Snowmageden here in GA and it was cold out and about to dump snow. (Save the crap about being cold in the south, Im from the North originally and I know what cold is, Ive just been conditioned to the South over the last few years)

First polishing step completed in about an hour. I highly recommend finding a way to elevate the keg so you are not bending over the whole time. I created a small table out of some decking I had in the garage and a coffee table. This along with my lawn chair saved my back. After a while my neighbor heard the racket and came down to see what was going on. He is very handy and helped me out quite a bit. First he showed me that I had not done a good enough job removing the adhesive. He brought down a stronger chemical that helped. He actually caught me about 1/4 of the way through the first polish and saved me a bit of time by going back and re-cleaning the keg again so that I was polishing and not just moving adhsive around the keg.

With my neighbor there we decided to start making our cuts in the keg. We used the Angle Grinder again to make this cut. We used a 2" T piece of PVC as a guide. The PVC just dropped down into the hole and helps to keep a steady distance and get a good cut. Be very careful when you finish this cut as both the edges of the keg and the piece cut out will be incredibly sharp and dangerous. We used a grinding stone to smooth out the cuts because using the angle grinder just seemed a little dangerous.

More to come tomorrow......

2011-01-08_12-37-24_473.jpg

2011-01-08_14-01-09_80.jpg

2011-01-08_14-20-16_491.jpg

2011-01-08_14-20-24_867.jpg

2011-01-08_15-18-19_630.jpg

Next step was to shine this baby up. First I used #2 polish with the angle grinder and polish pads. I would suggest using plenty of the compound when doing this. I started using just a little bit but soon realized that using more compound really gave it the good shine that I was looking for. As you can see in the first picture the #2 compound gave it a nice shine but not the mirror finish that I was looking for. Next was a round of #5 polish. This is where it really started to shine. Again use plenty of compound and take your time. Picture 2 shows the Keg after #5 Polish. Looking good!!

After I finished this step we drilled the holes for our ball valve and sight glass. I decided to drill the holes halfway between the handles and in between the two holes on the bottom of the keg. I had read that if your valves are directly above one of the holes flames can come up around the side and make your valves hot. For the first hole we used a standard sharpened drill bit. The first hole was not too tough but we had issues on the second one. Make sure you use plenty of lubricant and drill slowly. On the second hole we drilled too fast and after about half way through the hole we got stuck. We kept trying to drill but the SS had hardened and we werent getting anywhere. Eventually I decided to bite the bullet and go buy a step bit since I was planning on converting another Sanke. The new bit worked like a charm. Picture 3 shows the shiney keg with holes drilled. With our two holes drilled all that was left was to wait for my hardware.

A few days later my hardware arrived. Picture 4 shows my finished product. I have to admit that I had some issues with the O-ring on my sight glass. When we drilled the holes we did not sufficiently file down the burs on the inside of the keg. This caused the O-ring to break when I tightened it down. After 3 O-rings and lots of curse words I believe I have finally got it working. Tomorrow I will water test and assuming everything is good I should brew my first batch in it within the week. Cant wait.

Picture 5 shows another Keg that a buddy gave me that I have been working on as well. It was quite a bit more beat up when I got it but it has come a long ways. Not quite as pretty as mine but still not too shabby. Just need to find one more and I will have a complete Sake Set-up. Cant wait!!

2011-01-08_16-57-41_421.jpg

2011-01-08_20-23-11_16.jpg

2011-01-09_17-56-28_98.jpg

2011-01-14_18-44-38_260.jpg

2011-01-12_22-03-25_629.jpg

Thanks Jason!! I was pretty proud since most of the time I dont have a handy bone in my body. Something to be said for DIY projects and the pride they bring.

Time for a little update. Its been a couple of weeks and I have aquired more equipment and also brewed with my new gear. For the most part the new gear has worked great. A few small tweaks that I will be making. I originally chose not to use the top bolt to hold my sightglass thinking it wouldnt really matter since I tested (with cold water). Once things got hot in there my sight glass was all over the place. I will be installing the sight glass holder soon. Here are a couple pictures of the rig we are using now. Still progressing with the idea of getting to a HERMS but really need to lock in this rig first.

I recently picked up a bunch of equipment off of craigslist and it has been great. Got a pump, MLT, dip tubes, bottle tree, etc. Great find and got a pretty good deal on everything. My garage is slowly turning into a Beer Haven. SWMBO just laughs when she walks out there now and the neighbors walk a little slower by the house to see whats going on. Also get the "hey are you making meth jokes all the time now. Just smile and tell them that what Im making is way better than meth. Ill try to keep up with the pics as I continue the evolution of my brew rig.

2011-01-29_12-43-27_250.jpg

2011-02-05_10-44-18_499.jpg

2011-02-05_15-35-00_753.jpg

Back