New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Running a 220 line out the garage - sanity check!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
HomebrewJeff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Running a 220 line out the garage - sanity check!

Ok, so I'm getting really close to taking the plunge and running a 220 line out to my detached garage, and was hoping that someone could point out if there are any no-no's in my plan.

The garage is detached and run will be about 50 feet from main to sub panel. My plan is to run 220 and 110 from this sub. There is also an existing 20 amp circuit in the garage. I'd like to keep this circuit as well, but it won't be used for brewing.

• I'll run 4 - 6 gauge THWN stranded wires in 1 1/4 PVC conduit
  • Conduit will be buried at least 18"
  • The line will come from my main panel (50amp 2 pole break), to the outside and connect to a 50 amp SPA GFCI, like one of these. Then the cable will go underground to the garage.
  • In the garage the line will come up outside to a junction box then through the wall in the garage to a sub panel.
  • Ground and neutral will be separated. My understanding is no ground rod is needed.

As far as the load, I'd be looking at a 4500 (maybe 5500) watt element on the 220, and maybe a 2000 element running on 110. I'd like to do as much of work as I can.

Am I missing anything, or any glaring problems / concerns?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
GranillaNutz
Recipes 

ur kinda goin overkill with 4-6 gauge wire... 8 gauge would be sufficient for a 50 amp breaker. i certainly wouldn't use 4 gauge.

"Sometimes when i reflect back on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then i look into the glass and think about all the workers in the brewery and all their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work, and their dreams would be shattered. Then i say to myself, "it's better that i drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver."" -jack handy

Old 05-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
DemonCleaner
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It sounds like you have it figured out.Can't see any problems,go for it. Is the garage sheetrocked or going to be?? Because if you are not going to rock, you will have to use bx(armored cable, mc cable) and keep any horizontal runs of cable above 8 feet for the garages internal wiring.If i were closer I'd come by and give you a hand!

Old 05-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
DemonCleaner
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

#8 is only good for 40 amps

Old 05-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
HomebrewJeff
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranillaNutz View Post
ur kinda goin overkill with 4-6 gauge wire... 8 gauge would be sufficient for a 50 amp breaker. i certainly wouldn't use 4 gauge.
Sorry I meant 4 (2 hots, neutral, ground) single 6 gauge wires. I have someone who I can buy the 6 or 8 gauge wire off of for basically the same price, so I figured what the heck. The only difference that I could see was possibly needing a larger conduit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonCleaner View Post
It sounds like you have it figured out.Can't see any problems,go for it. Is the garage sheetrocked or going to be?? Because if you are not going to rock, you will have to use bx(armored cable, mc cable) and keep any horizontal runs of cable above 8 feet for the garages internal wiring.If i were closer I'd come by and give you a hand!
Thanks or the info. I wasn't aware about the 8 foot limit. The entire garage isn't and won't be sheetrocked, but the area where the subpanel and my outlets (for this new 220 line) will be.

Last edited by HomebrewJeff; 05-09-2009 at 12:17 PM.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
rico567

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Sounds like a plan to me. As far as running to my garage from the main breaker (a 100A unit), I just called the electrician. He told me I might as well get the subpanel for the garage and install it myself, because I could get it cheaper than his contractor wholesale if I bought it at Menards or Lowe's. He ran the cable to the subpanel I'd put in, and I did the other wiring myself.....which I've done before. No sheetrock is involved, but it's a steel Morton building, so there was no trouble with a handy horizontal above 8 feet to run all the wire. I then just used regular conduit to bring the wire down to the boxes, pretty much like any of the photos online showing such installs. This system gives me enough amps that I have the option of running 220V for brewing, welding, plasma cutter, etc. (although not simultaneously, of course).

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:32 PM   #7
Hammy71

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 533

You may or may not need a ground rod. In Maryland a groundrod is required as well as the ground you bring from your house panel to any detached structure. (MI may be different.). Other than that I think you are doing just fine....Although if your going to run 6 copper....why not just use a 60 amp breaker?......

Old 05-11-2009, 11:24 PM   #8
HomebrewJeff
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
You may or may not need a ground rod. In Maryland a groundrod is required as well as the ground you bring from your house panel to any detached structure. (MI may be different.). Other than that I think you are doing just fine....Although if your going to run 6 copper....why not just use a 60 amp breaker?......
Thanks, I'll check out if a ground rod is required. Regarding the 60 amp, it seems the last time I was at homedepot a 60 amp GFCI was quite a bit more than a 50 amp, and seeing that I don't really need it anyway, I was going to just stick with 50 for now.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:40 PM   #9
Apollo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm pretty sure a ground rod and simultaneous disconnecting means is required if you have more than 1 circuit going to a separate building.

I'd suggest going the panel route with a main breaker and recircuiting the existing receptacle (and lighting??) circuit.

Edit: This may require a permit as well. Also, are you sure the load on your main panel can handle this additional load?

Last edited by Apollo; 05-12-2009 at 12:00 AM.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:13 AM   #10
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you're going to the trouble of burying the wire, why not set a subpanel out there and run your circuits out of that???

Also, if you are digging a trench, you might as well drop a 3/4 PVC pipe in the trench for phone and cable. As long as you have the trench open, now's the time. You may not want to run the cables at this time, but at least the conduit will be there if you want to do it in the future.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Quick Reply