New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 10:09 AM   #621
Thundercougarfalconbird
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 26

So I've modified my mill quite a bit (drill powered, removed the pin and replaced with a screw and nut, JB welded everything) but now my problem seems to be that as I grind my mill gets looser and looser(yes I use that wingnut to hold it). I find myself constantly having to readjust the tightness. Its very frustrating the lack of consistency. I think I'm just gonna break down and buy a barley crusher once I save up enough.

The best beer I ever made was the next one I brew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #622
rico567

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercougarfalconbird View Post
So I've modified my mill quite a bit (drill powered, removed the pin and replaced with a screw and nut, JB welded everything) but now my problem seems to be that as I grind my mill gets looser and looser(yes I use that wingnut to hold it). I find myself constantly having to readjust the tightness. Its very frustrating the lack of consistency. I think I'm just gonna break down and buy a barley crusher once I save up enough.
I assume we're talking here about the clamp that holds the mill to whatever sort of horizontal surface you've mounted it to. Mine worked loose after about 20 batches, and I was able to reach down under it with a screwdriver, use the screwdriver as a lever and get it good and tight. Then I put two screws into the wood through the notches in top, and no problems since.
If you mean the wingnut for adjusting the fineness of the grist, mine has never worked loose once I got it set.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #623
Thundercougarfalconbird
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I mean the second one. The wingnut that holds the crush setting. The whole contraption loosens up every pound of grain or so.

The best beer I ever made was the next one I brew.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #624
rico567

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Hmm....mine has never loosened since I got the crush dialed in. I've got the "Victoria" type, and there are enough threads on that adjustment screw that I would put a lock nut on there to jam the wing nut if mine started doing that.
From the pix in this thread, looks like the "Porkert" version has lots of thread, too. The actual "Corona," not so much....

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:20 AM   #625
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 69

wowza... i need to adjust the mill some more and crush quite a bit more, i got just a tad under 60% eff. on my last brew. Wowza, no whole kernels that i saw, might need to mash longer with some more water maybe thin it out to 1.4/1.5qts a pound and see what happens, still haven't fully dialed it in yet, but the last brew day i had i was at 70. hrm...

Kegged Empty - Empty - Empty - Empty - Empty - Raspberry Chocolate Stout
Coming up 80 shilling - Schwarzbier - Bavaian Heff

Electric 120v Brutus 20

Quote:
Homebrewers are like drunk Rembrandt's... Painting the world with liquid love
Quote:
If you're getting into this hobby to save money... you have a great sense of humor

Old 06-30-2011, 04:48 AM   #626
xxsn0blindxx
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

After seeing this and other threads about corona mills, it occurred to me that my grandma had one of these that hadn't been used for many years, so when I was visiting last week I brought it home with me. First of all, thanks to everyone who posted their rigs in this thread as it made it nearly brainless to put this together.

Mill brand: Estrella

Parts list:
5 gallon bucket - $2.54
Bucket lid - $1.27
5/16-8 coarse thread bolt - $0.69
6"x4" vent pipe reducer - $5.98
4" drawband connector - $2.28
Total - $12.76

I also used a scrap piece of 2x4 and 4 deck screws which I didn't include in the build price since most people probably have these laying around.

The build:
I mounted the mill to the 2x4 and figured out where I wanted it centered by sitting the 2x4 on top of the bucket and tracing the edge of the bucket on the 2x4. Then I took the 2x4 off and traced the bottom edge of the bucket centered inside of the top edge diameter lines. Using a miter saw, I made several cuts to get a close radius in between the top and bottom diameter lines. I had to make several rounds of cutting the radius before the board was the right size to sit down in the bucket but not be too narrow. Then with the mill mounted to the 2x4, I drilled and screwed the 2x4 to the bucket. I placed a light inside the bucket and traced the outline of the 2x4 to figure out where to place the screws.

After that I drilled a hole for the bolt that will turn the mill. To do this, I marked the inside of the bucket and used a flashlight to locate the mark on the outside.

For the hopper and lid, I decided to leave the hopper affixed to the mill intake and split the lid in half. With the drawband tightened it is surpsignly sturdy considering it is only holding onto a less than 3/8" lip, but you can lift the whole deal by the hopper without it coming off. I used a jigsaw to cut the hole for the hopper and split the lid and half and it worked beautifully.

These pictures were taken immediately after completing the build I need to take it apart and clean it up, then time to go get some grain and try it out.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #627
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Lookin' good! Now you just need to take a razor knife and cut the bottom off that bucket, it's so much easier using the Bucket-In-Bucket(TM) system.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 07-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #628
Lowry0031
Recipes 

https://picasaweb.google.com/JustinLowry31/MotorizedMillBuild#5624382041663072242
https://picasaweb.google.com/JustinLowry31/MotorizedMillBuild#5624382052131699778
https://picasaweb.google.com/JustinLowry31/MotorizedMillBuild#5624382059927786370
https://picasaweb.google.com/JustinLowry31/MotorizedMillBuild#5624382074942392114

A fellow homebrewer and I built this mill with the help of this thread. So, in respect, we decided to add our motorized grain mill to this ever growing thread. It took about 4 weeks to build but with about 4 hours of labor.

Comments?

ps. how do I put a photo directly into my post?

Old 07-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #629
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowry0031 View Post

A fellow homebrewer and I built this mill with the help of this thread. So, in respect, we decided to add our motorized grain mill to this ever growing thread. It took about 4 weeks to build but with about 4 hours of labor.

Comments?
Fixed those for ya! It looks good Bro, care to provide any details on how you motorized it?

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 07-01-2011, 04:59 PM   #630
Lowry0031
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz

Fixed those for ya! It looks good Bro, care to provide any details on how you motorized it?
Well, my buddy took a motor from an old copy machine probably 15 years ago. We took that motor wired it up with a capacitor (to make it spin the correct way every time) and a switch.

Connecting the drive shaft to the corona mill was the hard part. We first bought a pipe that we were going to drill holes in (and tap for set screws) however, after thinking about how difficult it would be we were back to the drawing board. My buddy ran the problem by his old man and suggested to use a very stiff hose and using hose clamps. So, we tried that.

Attempt 1: the hose clamps (on the motor side) wouldn't go small enough so the shaft was slipping.

Attempt 2: we slipped beer siphon hose on to the motor shaft (to build some girth) and attached the larger hose. Tightened down, added test grain, flipped the switch and voila. Crushed grain!

Quick Reply