My stir plate, and problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opherman47

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
these are the stir plates i built, one that holds 2 5L flasks and one that holds 3 2L flasks..... I am having problems with the stir bar it comes to the middle and doesnt stir... any thoughts, its a real real strong magnet

P1020031.jpg

P1020037.jpg

P1020039.jpg

no i have not tried different magnets... i did try this type of stir bar though the cross kind, the magnet i have is 3.8" x 7/8" by 1 7/8" and is very very strong.... perhaps i need a straight stir bar, maybe not.... lots of folks seem to be getting a single magnet to work however??? thoughts fellas? i am going to order 10 stirbars, so i would like to know if it will work with a stir bar before i place a bulk order, perhaps i can gain wisdom from yooose guys

StirBarCross_3075_81_M.jpg

Test it with a paper clip to see if a straight stir bar would work. Also it seems to me that the plexi-glass could be keeping the magnet too far from the bar and can't produce enough pull to spin it. On mine the distance between the magnet and flask is very small and with no other material that could interfere.

stir1.jpg

Do the fans spin with the stirbar in place or are they stalled when you try turn them on?

Try moving the flask FARTHER away from the magnet. I suspect you may need more space between the magnet and stirbar. Mine has a really, really strong HD Magnet on it and I have to be around 1/2 to 3/4" away.

the fans spin quite freely... the cross stir bar comes to the center and then stands up

If the stirbar in fact is standing up then I suspect the polarity of the magnet is not along the length of the magnet but rather through the face of it.

If you read the description of this one: http://www.gaussboys.com/ndfeb-magnets/B2506E-N42.html is says "Magnetized: Through 6mm thickness - poles are on the large rectangular surfaces" so if your magnet is like this one then the magnetic field is up/down rather than end to end.

You need to consider either getting two small magnets or finding a single magnet with the magnetic field oriented along the length. like: http://www.gaussboys.com/ndfeb-magnets/C0625.html

If the stirbar in fact is standing up then I suspect the polarity of the magnet is not along the length of the magnet but rather through the face of it.

If you read the description of this one: http://www.gaussboys.com/ndfeb-magnets/B2506E-N42.html is says "Magnetized: Through 6mm thickness - poles are on the large rectangular surfaces" so if your magnet is like this one then the magnetic field is up/down rather than end to end.

You need to consider either getting two small magnets or finding a single magnet with the magnetic field oriented along the length. like: http://www.gaussboys.com/ndfeb-magnets/C0625.html

Wow that's some awesome information. Who knew!

t.... lots of folks seem to be getting a single magnet to work however??? thoughts fellas? ...

A lot of the folks that use a single magnet are using magnets salvaged from old hard drives. These arc magnets, at least the ones I have tried myself, are magnetized such that one pole is on the inside of the arc and the other pole is on the outside of the arc. See this page http://www.kjmagnetics.com/magdir.asp near the bottom where it says "Arc Magnetization with Poles on Inner & Outer Face".

Mine uses an old magnet from a hard drive. Hard drives have two of these and they are very powerful, they will stick together and pinch skin. :eek:

I use an old hard drive magnet but when I remove the cover of my project box, sometimes the fan spins when I flip the power switch and sometimes it doesn't. With a little nudge from my finger it will then spin, but I wonder why is isn't consistent?

Mine uses an old magnet from a hard drive. Hard drives have two of these and they are very powerful, they will stick together and pinch skin. :eek:

yeah, pinched. However for bone crushing power:

http://www.geekologie.com/2009/02/guy_loses_finger_to_neodymium.php

Dirk had an accident. It took 1 1/2 hours of surgery to remove the shattered bones and repair the damage. Medically speaking, he crushed his right index finger distal phalange. The magnets had a 50 cm (20 inch) separation when they decided to fly together.

He is lucky that he only lost a finger tip as opposed to his whole hand. The block Neo below is about 4" by 2" by 2" N45 with a pull force of around 700 lbs (320 kg). The disk is about 3" dia. by 2 1/2" thick N45 with a pull force of about 400 lbs (180 kg). That is his fingernail and some of his finger tip caught between the magnets.

Edit: note that the original site for this story has been taken over by some free energy type scammer. There are several blogs like the one I linked to above that still have the details but don't bother following through to the magnetnerd site.

I use an old hard drive magnet but when I remove the cover of my project box, sometimes the fan spins when I flip the power switch and sometimes it doesn't. With a little nudge from my finger it will then spin, but I wonder why is isn't consistent?

your old hard drive magnets are interfering with the motor, which is an inductive coil -

try getting the hard drive magnet off the motor (use a spacer of some non-metalic design - a piece of plastic, wood, whatever. Of course, you may have to adjust the motor lower so it doesn't scrape your box or flask...

your old hard drive magnets are interfering with the motor, which is an inductive coil -

try getting the hard drive magnet off the motor (use a spacer of some non-metalic design - a piece of plastic, wood, whatever. Of course, you may have to adjust the motor lower so it doesn't scrape your box or flask...

That is most likey my problem. Great idea! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. :mug:

the fans spin quite freely... the cross stir bar comes to the center and then stands up

Edit: Should have read all the answer before posting.

Standing up! Just a thought, is the magnetic field vertical or horizontal? I wonder if your magnets are magnetized to have one pole on the top and the other on the bottom. That would make it stand up.

As the stir bar stands up, try to slide it back and forth on top of the magnet. It should attract at one end and repel at the other.

A lot of the folks that use a single magnet are using magnets salvaged from old hard drives. These arc magnets, at least the ones I have tried myself, are magnetized such that one pole is on the inside of the arc and the other pole is on the outside of the arc. See this page http://www.kjmagnetics.com/magdir.asp near the bottom where it says "Arc Magnetization with Poles on Inner & Outer Face".

Sorry for going slightly off topic, but are you sure about HD magnets having polarization inside/outside of the arc? I have collected parts for building a stir plate, and I played around with the magnets a little trying to determine polarization. I thought that they were Magnetized through Circumference as shown at your link, that is, poles to the left and right. Great link by the way. The magnets were so strong that I ended up breaking them (mounted in pairs) so I had to butcher a second HD.

I suppose putting a stir bar on a magnet would show the situation, by the bar aligning itself with the magnetic axis.

Sorry for going slightly off topic, but are you sure about HD magnets having polarization inside/outside of the arc? I have collected parts for building a stir plate, and I played around with the magnets a little trying to determine polarization. I thought that they were Magnetized through Circumference as shown at your link, that is, poles to the left and right. Great link by the way. The magnets were so strong that I ended up breaking them (mounted in pairs) so I had to butcher a second HD.

I suppose putting a stir bar on a magnet would show the situation, by the bar aligning itself with the magnetic axis.

The ones I have played with I put one of the bars from my daughters Magnetix toys on the magnet and it aligned like the second from the bottom pictures on that link across the arc rather than with the arc.

The ones I have played with I put one of the bars from my daughters Magnetix toys on the magnet and it aligned like the second from the bottom pictures on that link across the arc rather than with the arc.

I got a stir bar and put it on one of my hard drive magnets. I include a thumb nail link below that shows how it lined up. There are two arc magnets, one on each side of a wad of paper, so that I can separate them without too much force. Both are oriented identically, except that North and South align with each other. If I try to align the stir bar radially with the arc magnet, it snaps back to the position shown. It appears that my magnets are magnetized in a direction 90 degrees different than yours. Or did I misunderstand something?

I got a stir bar and put it on one of my hard drive magnets. I include a thumb nail link below that shows how it lined up. There are two arc magnets, one on each side of a wad of paper, so that I can separate them without too much force. Both are oriented identically, except that North and South align with each other. If I try to align the stir bar radially with the arc magnet, it snaps back to the position shown. It appears that my magnets are magnetized in a direction 90 degrees different than yours. Or did I misunderstand something?

No, you are understanding perfectly. Yours is 90 degrees different than mine. Kind of makes me wonder if people that have problems with hard drive magnet based stirplates consistently have one type of magnet or the other. Now I really need to get around to building mine.

Back