Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > MTC-6020 New Ebay Aquarium Temp Controller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I like the fan control. I am guessing you could tell it to operate a fan whenever it is operating the cooling / defrosting function?

Also, I wonder about the 'pump' function? I bet the guys using 'glycol' type setups would be interested in this thing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #12
biertourist
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
It is low... The STC-1000 is rated at, I believe 10 Amps at 240V. This would probably not be functional to operate a refrigerator or freezer.
Can you use the output to control an SSR? That would get over the 3amps limitation quite nicely...

Adam

Old 11-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #13
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by biertourist View Post
Can you use the output to control an SSR? That would get over the 3amps limitation quite nicely...

Adam
Ding, Ding, Ding!!! We have a winner!

It would need some type of enclosure, with mounted heat sinks for the SSR's though. No big deal really, most guys put controllers in enclosures of some type anyway.

Ok, that solves THAT problem...

What else can anyone think of to use these functions for?

Old 12-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 129

So has anyone used one of these yet?

Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Octoberfest (ECY15), Sour Brown (ECY01) Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Pale ale, Ginger Beer On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/08/23
Untappd: barrooze

Old 12-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #15
biertourist
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
What else can anyone think of to use these functions for?
Have you see the Styrofoam "fermenting chambers" where you cut up a couple of pieces of Styrofoam insulate and make it into two chambers -in one you place frozen jugs of water and in the other you put your fermenter and then control the temperature in the fermenter chamber by turning on a small fan that pulls in cold air from the cold side?

-The new fan feature would certainly work in one of these but if you're going to go to all the effort of getting a temp controller you should probably just save your pennies for an old mini fridge...

It's another use, anyway.

The Barbequeue guys often have smokers where the meat is in a separate chamber from the smoke and a fan pulls in the hot smokey air to keep the temp in the "meat chamber" at a specific programmed temp. -These guys normally use full PID controllers that support the "ramp and soak" feature so that can put the meat through multiple rests sort of like a step mash, but a WAY cheaper way to go would be to just use one of these and set a specific temperature.

Glass kilns need to control temperature in a similar manner and if what you're doing just needs a simple single temperature or you want manual control you could use one of these with an appropriately sized SSR and go nuts.

Some of the coffee aficionados also want close control of temps and have used PIDs in the past; again this is a cheaper alternative is a single temp is ok or you don't mind manual control.

Adam

Old 01-17-2013, 02:31 AM   #16
PacificNWBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Does anyone have an electrical diagram example with the ssr? I want to make a fermentation/keezer and this would amazing!

My goal is to have a controller for the keezer side to hold at 35f and a fan to draw cold air up into the fermentation chamber when the set temp needs it. The 2 sensors would be nice but only if the control separate replies. 1 for the keezer and 1 for the fermentaion chamber. Any advice? Should I look for something else?

Thanks!

Old 01-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #17
MaxOut
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The STC-1000's are only rated at 5 amp. Through investigation done here on this site it was determined that the relays inside are rated at 10 amp. I would be willing to bet this unit will handle 10 amps at 110VAC. The defrost would be used as your heat circuit.

To wire a SSR you take the outputs from the controller and wire them to the coil side of the SSR. In this case make sure you get a SSR that has AC coil. Then you just wire your line/load to the switch side of the SSR. For the record a heat sink is not needed for SSR's rated at 25 amps running approx 10 amp loads. Most refrigerators do not draw more that 7 amps. I have large 30 CuFt commercial units that only draw 7 amps with lights, fans and compressors running at the same time.

If you run circulation fan or small 250watt heater 3 amps is fine you would only need the SSR to control the refrigeration or if you desired a larger heater.

Good find!

Old 01-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #18
Brewcrew02
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 93

waiting.... ..... I don't wanna jump on one of these too soon!!!

"Gave my 500ml Pacman starter that I made last night a hug and wished it a good day before I headed off to work. He's growing up so fast!! Will be a 2liter starter by Saturday and will probably start ignoring me, think he knows it all and end up knocking up some skanky belgain strain before I know it." ~BigTerp

Old 01-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #19
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I've read that alot of the ebay PIDs are kinda crappy. Anyone use one of these?

Old 01-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #20
barryfine
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This looks great! Should I assume that the defrost circuit would be the same as the heating circuit on the STC? Unless I'm missing something it looks you get twice as much temp controller for the money!

Quick Reply