minifridge coolant line bending question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tall_Yotie

Reaction score
So, I got a mini fridge to do cold conditioning. I started removing the screws from the freezer so I can bend it down. Once I got it to that point, I realized I had VERY little slack, and no flexibility- it is all copper piping. I am concerned that bending it back will crimp the pipe. No way I can give it a big radius of bend.

There is no where for me to really work on the 2-3" of pipe I have before it gets into the freezer casing. So I have 2 options:

1- bend the entire freezer compartment to the back, hoping I don't crimp, and will cover my fridge controls.

2- straighten out the entire freezer compartment into a flat sheet and have it stuck to the side of the fridge.

So, what sounds like the best option? Unlike the pics I have seen on the forum, I don't have the length of pipe others have leading to the freezer area.

Thanks!

Edit: Went ahead and bent it all down to the side. Seems so far to be working fine.

I tried bending mine down, and it didn't work. I think the line got crimped halfway, and would trip the heat protection on the compressor.

Ended up grinding the top edges of the cold plate so the freezer plate would be higher in the fridge. Worked like a charm!

I ended up bending it down to the side, and it works just fine. I had to be very careful and patient though. I guess it all depends on what model people have.

The thermostat for the fridge itself seems to not work anymore (at warmest setting it just kept cooling), but as I made a temperature controller it doesn't particularly matter.

Back