*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > minifridge coolant line bending question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2010, 02:55 AM   #1
Tall_Yotie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default minifridge coolant line bending question

So, I got a mini fridge to do cold conditioning. I started removing the screws from the freezer so I can bend it down. Once I got it to that point, I realized I had VERY little slack, and no flexibility- it is all copper piping. I am concerned that bending it back will crimp the pipe. No way I can give it a big radius of bend.

There is no where for me to really work on the 2-3" of pipe I have before it gets into the freezer casing. So I have 2 options:

1- bend the entire freezer compartment to the back, hoping I don't crimp, and will cover my fridge controls.

2- straighten out the entire freezer compartment into a flat sheet and have it stuck to the side of the fridge.

So, what sounds like the best option? Unlike the pics I have seen on the forum, I don't have the length of pipe others have leading to the freezer area.

Thanks!

Edit: Went ahead and bent it all down to the side. Seems so far to be working fine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2010, 04:16 AM   #2
bad coffee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 422 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I tried bending mine down, and it didn't work. I think the line got crimped halfway, and would trip the heat protection on the compressor.

Ended up grinding the top edges of the cold plate so the freezer plate would be higher in the fridge. Worked like a charm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:52 AM   #3
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I ended up bending it down to the side, and it works just fine. I had to be very careful and patient though. I guess it all depends on what model people have.

The thermostat for the fridge itself seems to not work anymore (at warmest setting it just kept cooling), but as I made a temperature controller it doesn't particularly matter.

Quick Reply