Make opening on keggle bigger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eppo

Reaction score
I used a dremmel to cut the to off of the keg. I made the whole a bit small. What would be the best way to open it up a bit?
Side note, im going to get an angle grinder to do another keg, is there an attachment I can use for that maybe? Never used one before. Thanks

You cut a keg with a Dremel? Wow.

Check out the this thread started about an hour before yours on how to get 'er done right. A cheap Harbor Freight angle grinder with a cut off wheel and a bit of ingenuity made for a quick and nicely done job of it...

As for widening yours, it's either the Dremel again or attack it with a SawzAll and some bimetal blades and file the edges...

Cheers!

Just freehand it. You can use the rim as a guide. I got good results like this. I always wanted to try and take the entire top off. Leave the handles but grind it smooth to the wall. I just don't want to try it with my one and only keg.

take a hand angle grinder and cut off wheel. place the backside of the grinder against the rim of the keggle to serve as your guide. and just go around nice and slow.. you'll end up with a 12" give or take hole..

I don't think a dremmel is the correct tool to be using.. i'd be willing to guess you went through a crap ton of cut off blades. and those little ****ers cost more than the much bigger grandpappy 4.5" cut off blades.

-=Jason=-

When I did the first one, I didn't want to spend the money on an angle grinder, thats why I used the dremmel.
When I researched how to do it at the time, I remember seeing a thread on how to do it with the angle grinder and the jig. Thats the way I'm going to do it with the new keg.
Then since i have it set up, I'm going to do my brother and laws keg, since he hasn't had a chance yet.

I would go for the better one. It's not like it's the last time you'll use it!

When I made the jig to cut off my keg top, I re-purposed the removable valve by grinding down the little tabs on the upper part of the inside piece of the valve. A fender washer (I believe it was a 3/8") fit perfectly on the inside lip of the valve, and it created a perfect fit to spin my jig on. Have to remove it from the dip tube first by turning the retaining washer at the base of the valve/top of the dip tube, and remove the tube and spring assembly. Worked fantastic. A couple 2x4 pieces, some gold screws, and a couple of clamps, and the jig was created in 15 minutes. Worked like a charm!

Attached are some pics to give you a better idea of how I did it. I thought it worked particularly well, but others have used different methods with the same results. I figured I already had the pieces, seemed to me to be a waste if I did not use them (I also cut the valve ball out to use for weight when dry hopping in secondary, and will convert the dip tube into a hop spider).

Keg-Valve-D.jpg

Keg-Valve-D2.jpg

Latest posts

Back