Lift Gate for Home Bar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nate4g63

Reaction score
I'm planning on redoing our bar and its new shape will take on "L". I'd like the L angle to be a lift gate for access behind the bar. Anyone have any ideas on stabilizing or hooking it in? Google gave me little to zero results. Just curious on some latch ideas. It'll be a short piece so structure wise it doesn't have to hold a ton of weight.

Without seeing the space or the specifics of the bar, I would begin by considering a piano hinge for the movement, and as for the fixed side, the easiest way would be to have the "door" rest on a 2x4 screwed to the studs, which could be hidden when closed. Maybe even a 2x2 would work if you have a strong connection (screw) to the studs.

It sounds more complicated than it is. For example, if the bar table is framed with 2x4, you can make the "latch" side with a 2x2 and then when closed, it will rest on the 2x2 on the wall, resulting in a "2x4".

That's where I would start at least.

I would definitely recommend a stop mounted to the wall for it to rest when in the down position. As much as people like to rest their elbows on a bar, having it supported by the hinge could be a potential failure. If you put a hard stop on it then the hinges don't have to be as stout, but a piano hinge will give a good even support across the width of the bar. I would get something with a 180º swing on it to allow it to lay flat on the bar surface when open.

I think that a picture or drawing of the layout of the bar would go a long way in assisting with the design of this. i have a feeling what I have pictured in my mind is different from what you are trying to accomplish.

Back