Kegerator: Got lucky, barely missed line, methods for checking failed! Alternatives?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willpower101

Reaction score
I mean, I BARELY missed the refrigerant line!

I tried windex, no evaporation.
I tried dish soap, but mixed with water and without. No go.
I tried alcohol. Just evaporated evenly.

I need to drill 4 bolts to put a mount on the outside (similar to a tower) but I'm scared I'm going to drill right into a line!
Is the metal just so thick than I'm not able to feel it from the outside, or that it's not getting hot enough to evaporate any substance I put on it?

Note that line is "U" shaped and the image is taken from the front.
The hole is dead center, so that line is bending at both edges and running towards the back of the fridge.

iErwHhIFF05V4.JPG

Honestly i think your golden now.

If you know where your bolting, just start ripping that insulation out by hand carefully watching for the coolant lines.

Once you get the area cleared out and you know you can safely drill your bolt holes do so, then if you want, depending on how much insulation you need to rip out just get some spray foam insulation and spray it up inside and let it expand.

Well, the bolts for the flange I'm putting on it are pretty far out. I'm using a base flange from home depot to run the line through a few feet to a tap, so the bolt holes are about 2-3 inches away from the hole. I'm worried when I drill these I'm going to encounter more lines. What do you think?

just pick the foam out by hand to make sure you dont drill through more. then get a can of stray foam and fill it back.

Well, the bolts for the flange I'm putting on it are pretty far out. I'm using a base flange from home depot to run the line through a few feet to a tap, so the bolt holes are about 2-3 inches away from the hole. I'm worried when I drill these I'm going to encounter more lines. What do you think?

Doesnt matter thats not that far, sure you will have a bit of manual work but just use your hand or some blunt object to rip out the insulation slowly and fill it back in with spray foam. Its the only way to do it at this point IMO, it will be more work but if you clear it out first you can drill 100% knowing there are no lines where your drilling.

Back