How to mess up an immersion chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cklages

Reaction score
So after a little lurking around on the forums, I decided that i really needed an immersion chiller, i figured for 5 imp gallon batches with water that is quite cold most of the year that 25' of 3/8" would do me. As it happened, a friend was able to donate the tubing, and all i needed was some fittings from the local hardware store. Unfortunately I could not find a 1/2" to 3/8" solder fitting, but i did see a compression fitting that looked like it would fit the bill, so i used that instead. The first picture below is what i came up with.

So this morning, after cooling an extract batch only two days ago with said chiller, I did a test run after replacing a fitting on the top end only to find the compression fitting down below was leaking just a little bit. Now i presume that the leak would have added cooling water to my beer rather than sucking wort out although I'm not completely sure of this, maybe there would have been some venturi effect because the water line goes from 3/8" to 1/2" where the leak would have happened. Any experts care to chime in?

Unfortunately, this is possibly a slightly bigger deal for me, due to the source of my water. Picture #2 shows where my water comes from, and if you look really closely, you can see the fish pooping in it. I do run 5 micron filtration, but it isn't nearly enough to take out much more than gravel and minnows. The fermentation looks healthy so far, and hey who knows, maybe the beer gods will give me a free pass this once.

Anyway, the battle is on between US-05 and whatever the lake wanted to contribute, wish the yeasties luck!

Chris

flawed chiller.jpg

fish pooping.JPG

I just bent the copper so that both exited the pot. That way I did not need any fittings in the boil. This was my first IC, and I bought all these fittings to connect the hoses to it. But this chiller was too tall and it always tipped over, so I made a second shorter one, and I just clamped the hoses right to the copper. I used two clamps per hose, and it was fine. Simpler seems better in this case.

Coils.jpg

Connections.jpg

I also just bent it up like eanmcnulty did. I used ~40 ft of 3/8 and put a compression fitting with a hose connection on one end, and the vinyl tubing just slides over the copper on the exit side.

I'm no expert, but I think its gonna be a sit and wait deal. Odds are that everything will be ok. Just make sure you fix the leak before you use the IC next time around.

Good luck!

So, is your cooling water truly lake water or does the municipality draw it from the lake and treat it? I have well water that I can't use, so if it is the former, I understand. Did you gain enough level from the leak to be noticable? If not, you should be fine. If you did notice it, time will tell. Follow the other guy's suggestions about bending the tubing out of pot. No matter what, it's done. So, RDWHAHB and let us know how it turns out. Luck - Dwain

Hey there guys, yeah it is just raw untreated lakewater that i pump out with a 3/4 horsepower pump in my crawlspace that feeds my house (and by extension my cooler:) ). I kind of doubt the contribution of lake water based on the size of the leak was much more than a teaspoon, but unfortunately that is a complete unknown. I'm just going to hope for the best, the fermentation started right on time and based on the krausen looks healthy. I also have temperature control in my fermenter that should help to favour the yeast, so basically everything else is working to my advantage.

Yeah i sure wish i had not tried to get cute and put that fitting in there. In this case simpler would definitely have been better. Oh well, live and learn...

Oh wow thread from the dead! I suppose that I didn't update though so my bad.

By the way, the beer was just fine, although it really didn't sit around too long to let any potential nasties take hold. I kind of feel like this belongs in one of Revvy's threads :)

Oh, I ended up removing the compression fitting and bending the copper like was recommended and it has been fine ever since. I am still thinking about building a 1/2" 50 foot chilller to help speed the process a little more, but man copper is still so expensive.

And no more compression fittings underwater!!

Back