New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Hot/cold fermentation cabinet with TEC (peltier) module

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #21
JKoravos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think it's a pretty cool project, nice work.

That being said, I fooled around with the idea of doing the same thing with Peltiers, but once I started playing around with them I realized how many I would need and the amount of power it would take to cool any significant amount of fermenting wort was going to be ridiculous. You've kind of found the same thing, I see. Getting the chamber down to 8C with a carboy full of water is a much easier task than keeping a vigorously fermenting beer at 18C.

As a comparison, my ferment chamber is about twice the size of yours and it is cooled with a 5,000BTU air conditioner. The chamber gets down below -15C within a few minutes when the AC is running.

Have fun with the project, I hope it works out for you, but I just don't think Peltiers are well suited for this task.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #22
mysobry
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thargrav View Post
The end result is for every BTU you pull out like a heat pump the unit itself generates up to one BTU.
different way to say that peltier cells have low efficency...!

Old 03-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #23
mysobry
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaryeyes View Post
That will do as a heatsink for the cold side. Then.... The hot side.... Uh! Need to fill the entire back with expensive heatsinks and fans.
In my implementation there is no a side that is hot or cold…they revert themselves according to external temperature and set point
Ie when external temperature is to low the cabinet works like a oven…when the temperature is too high like a fridge..
This is one of the advantage of the peltier approach…off course you need a proper control board !

Old 03-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #24
mysobry
Recipes 

[QUOTE=J.

As a comparison, my ferment chamber is about twice the size of yours and it is cooled with a 5,000BTU air conditioner. The chamber gets down below -15C within a few minutes when the AC is running.

Have fun with the project, I hope it works out for you, but I just don't think Peltiers are well suited for this task.[/QUOTE]

thank you for supporting my project...
5000 BTU is lot of cooling energy ! I just need to dissipate the heat produced by 5 gallons of wort in range 12-22 celsius with an external temperature of 10-25 celsius according season…8-10 degrees of delta worst case
Moreover I have a specific requirements to heat the wort during winter…and I can’t do this with just an air conditioner

Old 03-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #25
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1196 Times on 789 Posts
Likes Given: 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKoravos View Post
I think it's a pretty cool project, nice work.

That being said, I fooled around with the idea of doing the same thing with Peltiers, but once I started playing around with them I realized how many I would need and the amount of power it would take to cool any significant amount of fermenting wort was going to be ridiculous. You've kind of found the same thing, I see. Getting the chamber down to 8C with a carboy full of water is a much easier task than keeping a vigorously fermenting beer at 18C.

Have fun with the project, I hope it works out for you, but I just don't think Peltiers are well suited for this task.
I've got a peltier based cooler very similar to the one being described here. I love it. It's not great at quickly dropping the temperature of large volumes of liquid, but for keeping fermenting beer at a steady temperature within 20ºF of ambient it has never let me down. I get precise control with a PID, very little noise, and a significantly smaller footprint than I would have with an equivalently compressor-based system. I don't mean to knock on your system, as I'm sure it works great for you. But, peltiers definitely can work and, for some, are far and away the best option.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #26
JKoravos
Recipes 

It's a better option if you need something quiet and unassuming. Fortunately I don't have that constraint.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:44 AM   #27
Dentight
Recipes 

This is my first post, but not my first rodeo, not peltier project. That said, it is not finished yet. I thought I would let you all know my peltier based conical is silent and works like a dream and does not cost me that much to run. Anyway, I made a few different peltier projects, both are in progress, but I have brewing with them. I have attached some photos of my peltier cooled conical fermenter. It runs at about 146 watts and runs me about $50-100 a year a according to my "kill a watt." What do you all think? I would be happy to help others.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #28
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentight View Post
This is my first post, but not my first rodeo, not peltier project. That said, it is not finished yet. I thought I would let you all know my peltier based conical is silent and works like a dream and does not cost me that much to run. Anyway, I made a few different peltier projects, both are in progress, but I have brewing with them. I have attached some photos of my peltier cooled conical fermenter. It runs at about 146 watts and runs me about $50-100 a year a according to my "kill a watt." What do you all think? I would be happy to help others.
Very cool, I'd be interested to hear more about how you accomplished this. Maybe you could do a small write up in a separate thread and link to it here?
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 03-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #29
JKoravos
Recipes 

How often is it running to cost you that $50-100? That seems like an awful lot to me. My 13ft3 chest keezer only costs $25-$30/yr to run and that's going 24-7-365.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #30
Dentight
Recipes 

I would be happy to do so. I think the most important thing when using the peltier is removing the heat from the system, and the best way of doing that is to use liquid not air. So I have a dual loop, one hot and one cold, system. Basicly I have sandwiched the peltier between two watter blocks. The cold loop consist of a pump, a reservoir, water block, and a copper coil that wraps around the fermentation chamber. The hot side replaces the copper coil with radiators and fans. The cheapest and most efficient that I have found happens to be large heater cores from cars. If people want I will start another thread, I don't want to "hijack" this one. I have just been working with these things for a bit and after a lot of trial and error I have learned how to make the peltier work pretty dam well, or so I think. The best thing is how silent it is, the only thing I can hear is my refrigerator running and this thing is almost completely silent.

I have a photo of the conical after I made a custom stand for it and before I put all of the stuff on it. I think this photo makes it easier to understand.

Quick Reply