Fridge temperature control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insomniac

Reaction score
Morning all, I just aquired a Hotpoint First Edition Undercounter Fridge.

It seems good for my purposes, I can nicely fit two 5L jars in there with 2 shelves left for beer! I'm not quite ready to start cutting the thing to pieces, I'd rather get it useful with the minimum extra expence or effort.

My main issue currently is that it's operating temperaturs seem to be -2c on max and 10c on min. Really I need to get it a bit warmer in there for actually brewing, though its good for cold-crahing later as is.

I guess I need some kind of external thermostat? Could anyone give me some advise on exactly what I'm looking for?

How do you use it? Did you open up the side of the fridge where the original temp control is and wire that in instead?

Edit: Ah looking at the other threads around here did you need to buy yourself a box and some plugs to wire it all up yourself?
Hmmm, I guess I could give that a go...

Check out this thread about building an ebay temp controller. The difference between the ebay link posted earlier and the model used in the build thread is a matter of max amps. I modified my plans and used the controllers per the thread and have been happy.

I used a Love controller. Auto heat and cool. Plus I added a fan that runs on the heat cycle. I just hacked up some cheap extension cords for the plugs. Working awesome for about a year now.

ForumRunner_20110522_170602.jpg

pre-wired models exist as well. Plug the fridge into the controller, then the controller into the wall -

search for Johnson and Ranco

Cheers all, have ordered all the bits I need for this, hopefully I'll be able to get it up and running without killing myself!

Back