Excited for my new sanke HLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scroll down until you see the "bolt on series" (1018) steel.
This is how its done.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796323

DeepSea

I wouldn't be so sure.

Just like anything else we do to stainless, using such a tool would increase your chances of putting free iron onto the stainless. Like a non stainless steel wire brush, or maybe a flapper wheel that was once used to grind on steel. Perhaps some cutting oil residue left from drilling. In which case when welded you will cause the chromium to bond with the carbon creating chromium carbide. It is the chromium that makes it stainless steel. You won't have stainless steel anymore. The chromium carbide will sit inbetween the grain structure. The only way I know of to cure this issue is to do a solution heat treat to regain the grain structure. You may as well not bother to purge the weld.

This may or may not be of concern to anyone. However, since I know this I have made my tool out of such a material that this wont be an issue.

Nice tool though. Great find.

That has to be some of the best looking welds I have ever seen. What is your location and contact information as I may have to go on a road trip or looking into sending you some work in the mail.

My hat is off to you....

That has to be some of the best looking welds I have ever seen. What is your location and contact information as I may have to go on a road trip or looking into sending you some work in the mail.

My hat is off to you....

Man that is slick.

Did you weld the inside too?

D.

Thank you for those kind words. No I didn't weld the inside.

Please see here for any more on my work. This thread has gone far off track.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keg-tool-152003/

Drink homebrews and hit it with a hammer, clearly the right answer.

I know nothing about welding but I have seen a fair amount of keggles and a ton of welds in general and that is the cleanest looking weld I've ever seen. Now to find someone in NY who can turn the same trick.

Back