Can a single Johnson/Ranco be used to control two cold boxes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipso

Reaction score
Is there a specific model that does that? I know Johnson has one with dual channels, but I think it’s used primarily for cold/heat vs. cold+cold. Hopefully that makes sense. Not sure if a jumper can be used or if one of the various models can do it out of the box.

I’m going to have a 5cu ft chest freezer (fermentation control) right next to a 7cu ft chest freezer (long term maturation at “cellar” temp). So one floating between 62-70º, depending on recipe, and the other a constant 55º? I might as well try to get one temp control unit to do both.

..Unless it costs almost as much as two individual units; then I’ll go with the two to maintain modularity.

Thanks,

I don't believe so. Like you said, all the dual ones I've seen are meant to control heating and cooling and only have one temp input. You could get a BCS-460 or 462. It's pretty flexible and you'd be able to do some other automation if you wanted. The 460 is $187 and has four temp inputs and the 462 is $325 with eight temp inputs. Temp probes and SSR's are extra.

Yep, that's exactly where I'm at - unless someone out there has a better solution.

I'm sold on those things over the Johnson. Now the Johnson is possibly a better QUALITY device, but I can get 2 of the STC-1000s for the same price. AND the STC-1000 can control a cooling device AND a heating device.

That's not always a selling point for some people, but I went out last night to clean the airlock on my IPA and discovered the Johnson controller was reading 57 degrees. It was set to 62. With night coming on I knew the outside temp was the cause and it was very likely going to go down even further.

I quickly swapped the Johnson for the STC. Problem solved. A single stage controller is not an excellent solution if you want to control temps outside in Northern Michigan in the spring or fall...

yes, you could run two items off the dual stage controller or a single stage with a double outlet.
the two stage controllers - each stage is independent and can be changed from cool to heat or heat to cool, how ever you want it.
if you wire a double outlet to either controller, the two stage can independently run each outlet, one outlet for each side.
I have a single stage for my keezer and a two stage for my fermentation freezer because i wanted the heat option like Homercidal says, winter time can drop you below your set temp.
I got both my controllers before the STC came along and if i was looking for them now, i would go with the STC's just to save on the money.

Good luck.

yes, you could run two items off the dual stage controller or a single stage with a double outlet.
the two stage controllers - each stage is independent and can be changed from cool to heat or heat to cool, how ever you want it.
if you wire a double outlet to either controller, the two stage can independently run each outlet, one outlet for each side.
I have a single stage for my keezer and a two stage for my fermentation freezer because i wanted the heat option like Homercidal says, winter time can drop you below your set temp.
I got both my controllers before the STC came along and if i was looking for them now, i would go with the STC's just to save on the money.

Good luck.
Yours was good news, but I’m looking at one fine Southern gentleman’s YouTube vid, and since the STC-1000 only has one probe, and I assume they will not accept two, and since they are so cheap on eBay from the China guy, I’m just going to get two. Question answered, problem solved!

(I thought the "STC-1000" was the Ranco "ETC-1000zillion" - so $50. But $50/2 = STC - got it. Great news! Thanks all.)

Back