Can Greenlee punches be sharpened?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrench

Reaction score
I got an old set of Greenlee punches a while back. They work, but not well because they're pretty beat up. I'm sure they used to work much better. Can they be sharpened (re-ground, refurbished, whatever)? Would the cost to do that be more than buying a new set? Where would I look to get that done? A tool and die shop?

I have re-defined the points on mine a few times over the years..a dremel with abrasive disc or burr ..similar to the chainsaw sharpening ones and gunsmith files..the real action is the tight fit of the punch side into receiving cup side

Thanks. I'm sure the leading edges could use sharpening. Another issue, though, is where the angled cutting edge transitions to the flat part. On a couple of punches there are chips missing from those corners. Does that make any sense? I'll have to see if I can snap a picture and add it later. I doubt that can be fixed, but a sharper edge would certainly have it working smoother for the rest of the cut.

I think I understand perfectly, mine also have some imperfections.. and they leave burrs behind on the punch material, I usually take a rat-tail file to clean up the punched hole as the burrs will tear you up. You could use the dremel to take those burrs down I suppose if you really wanted to. The punches are hardened steel so keep heat in mind.

Side note: Unless you know someone with a milling machine, I would say the labor to have this done would cost more than the replacement cost of and individual punch.. not sure what size we are talking but they are not awful expensive.

Find a good sharpening shop. Someone that knows how to sharpen hardened steel like router bits or drill bits.

Talk to a local machine shop. If they don't have a surface grinder set up for sharpening punches and dies they will probably have a service that does it for them. They might let you piggyback onto their service.

We occasionally take a file to the tips to take the burrs off, just like using a steel on a chefs knife

Yes, they can be sharpened. Your local electrical supplier can give you recommendations on folks that do it. And, for those burrs, you can take a fine file to it, like OneHoppyGuy sez.

Back