The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > BIAB brew stand with hoist and pump

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #121
fortydegnorth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 5 Posts

The boil and into the fermenter:

brewing-6.jpg   brewing-7.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #122
goybar
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Did you recirculate the wort during the mash?

Did you heat it up at all? Or just let it sit for the 60 minutes?

Love the build.

Chris

Old 01-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #123
fortydegnorth
Recipes 

My mash temp for this recipe was 150. I had to heat a little after dough in because my temp dropped to 148. Got it to 150, stirring the whole time. I killed the heat, threw two towels on top and left it for 60 minutes. No recirculation or heat. It dropped to 149 about 5 minutes before the 60 minutes was up. Didn't matter to me because I turned the heat back on to mash out at 170 and then let it sit for 15 minutes. Then I drained and boiled. I didn't run the pump until I was chilling in the counterflow. The pump and jet burner are very quiet compared to the March pump and hurricane burner on the Brutus I had. It was really easy. I watched tv, drank a couple beers and weighed hops while it was doing it's thing. Very hands off for most of the brewing.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:14 AM   #124
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Since this is no sparge, did you adjust your grain bill for efficiency? When I put together the grain bill for my no sparge batches, I set the efficiency at 60%.

Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway
bkwudz Likes This 
Old 01-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #125
fortydegnorth
Recipes 

I didn't adjust anything except the crush on the grain. Basically hitting the exact same numbers as my brutus without as much work. With the brutus I had to switch hoses, attach the sparge lid and arm, clean two pots, two false bottoms, two pumps, transfer water and wort to different kettles etc. This was fill up, heat up, mash, smash the grain, boil, chill, done. I really liked it but I'm sure it's not for everyone.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #126
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks for answering that question. Like you, I want simplicity. My new and improved system gets broken in this weekend and I hope my results are as good. I will only sparge if I want to. I may post a photo or two.

Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #127
speedoguy
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Glad you finally brewed with it fortydegnorth, I'm about to brew my 5th batch with mine, stand works like a champ, Only "problem" I have is I loose temp, so I have to turn the burner on real low a few times during the mash, but its not that big a deal. overall Im stoked with the stand

Im probably going to build another stand for a friend soon.

Thanks for the build inspiration, being a complete and total newb, I was a few weeks away from building a 3 vessel stand when I found your thread. I had never even heard of BIAB, this thread changed the direction I went, and rather than building a 3 vessel stand with low quality parts and fittings I was able to build my Biab stand with higher quality parts/ fittings and set up a ferm chamber with a conical with the money I had saved, Thanks!

Old 01-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #128
johns
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 29

nice thread

Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder
WC Fields

Kegged: Centennial Blond

Bottled: Mambo in your mouth, Cranberry mead, Peach Ginger mead, HopSlam, Citra DIPA

Primary: Vanilla Bean Dark Lord.

Secondary: Firestone Walker Wooky Jack

Old 01-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #129
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoguy View Post
Glad you finally brewed with it fortydegnorth, I'm about to brew my 5th batch with mine, stand works like a champ, Only "problem" I have is I loose temp, so I have to turn the burner on real low a few times during the mash, but its not that big a deal. overall Im stoked with the stand

Im probably going to build another stand for a friend soon.

Thanks for the build inspiration, being a complete and total newb, I was a few weeks away from building a 3 vessel stand when I found your thread. I had never even heard of BIAB, this thread changed the direction I went, and rather than building a 3 vessel stand with low quality parts and fittings I was able to build my Biab stand with higher quality parts/ fittings and set up a ferm chamber with a conical with the money I had saved, Thanks!

I have a RIMS tube and a stainless heater that runs off 110v. It recirculates and easily maintains the temp via an Auber PID. My new version which will be similar to the ones in this thread will keep the RIMS tube for recirc and maintaining the temps during the mash and use the LP burner for the strike water and mashout temp since it is faster.
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:

-Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #130
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Here is my current setup which is a no-sparge system. It is not a fancy as the other self-contained units in this thread, but it works. Today, it is ridiculously warm 68F on Jan 13. But, I'm brewing a batch with the Falcons:Seahawks game on in the background. This is not my final setup...the original plan going back the last 2yrs is similar to the others in this thread. Instead of a steamer basket, I am using a 10gal kettle with the bottom cut out as a mash tun. It has a false bottom and sits inside a 15gal kettle. I use an LP burner to warm strike water and for boiling. I use a RIMS tube and 110v stainless steel element to maintain the temperature and recirculate the mash. That is working very well. Once I reach my 1hr mash, I re-ignite the burner to bring it up to mash out temp and keep recirculating. Then I raise the mash tun to drain. Once it is lifted and draining, I crank up the heat to get the boil started. Once it is drained, I lower it into this tote and pull the whole rig away. I'm currently using this shop crane that I bought to lift my boat motor. I bought a new boat winch to use like everyone else here has or I may use an electric winch. My burner is currently sitting on top of a car dolly and I need to build a stand that can mount the winch. I may just stick with this and not buy or build more stuff to fill up my garage. I kinda like having the brew cart with the water filter, RIMS tube, pumps and plate chiller all mounted.

These two links are youtube videos that inspired me.

dsc_0400.jpg   dsc_0397.jpg   dsc_0401.jpg  
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:

-Ernest Hemingway

Quick Reply