Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > AG Monster

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2007, 08:46 PM   #1
natehilde
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Default AG Monster

I just thought that I would let you all know that construction of the AG Monster is underway. It is a triple vessel, triple burner, dual pump, CF heat exchanger brewing machine. Frame welding will commence this weekend. Pictures and details to follow.

I am confused, however, on how exactly to construct the sparging device. I have never seen one in operation. Is there a specific height that it must be away from the grain bed? What do you recommend?

Thanks
Nate

"A Chief Petty Officer does not drink. But if he drinks, he will not get drunk. And if he gets drunk he will not stumble. And if he stumbles he will not fall. But if he falls, he will fall with his service stripes down, so that passers by think him to be a Junior Officer."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2007, 10:46 PM   #2
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

I've seen some sparge arms that are right above the grain, and some that sit on the grain and percolate the water through up-turned outlets. Honestly, I don't think it really matters as long as you allow the water to "gently" sprinkle onto the grain.

Now, you called it an "AG Monster". Monster would imply big/large/huge. How big are we talking?

2 pumps - are you going w/ a single tier design?

Old 06-07-2007, 12:39 AM   #3
natehilde

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the input. What I have in mind right now for the sparging rig is basically a circular shaped copper manifold with small holes drilled incrementally along its inside and outside diameter. Will that serve the purpose?

AG Monster will be something like this, except I will run all copper tubing from vessels to the pumps. All valves and pump powers switches will be mounted on a valve board extending out from the front of the frame. Similar to a desk. I just hope that the resulting headloss from all the tubing bends and elbows won't adversely affect the flow rate. Additionally, I don't have the cash for the thermostatic regulators yet, but can add them later. What do you guys think? I am looking for any ideas that might better improve my design.
Attachment 1850

"A Chief Petty Officer does not drink. But if he drinks, he will not get drunk. And if he gets drunk he will not stumble. And if he stumbles he will not fall. But if he falls, he will fall with his service stripes down, so that passers by think him to be a Junior Officer."

Last edited by natehilde; 10-12-2007 at 11:41 PM.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:38 PM   #4
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Looks like you're on the right track. Keep us posted w/ some pics as you make progress. You should have a nice rig when it's all done!

Old 06-08-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I built a bubbler type manifold because grains will not clog it. I can switch from recirculation to sparging by just turning a ball valve.

I just added a float switch to it so the water level stays at the same height as the bubbler when sparging.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:12 PM   #6
natehilde

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Well, that is something that I had never even considered. That is pretty cool. I had planned doing the same with sparge/recirculation ball valve isolations. So, from the pictures, it looks like the only thing that is supporting your bubbler is the tygon hose that is supplying it. Is that the case? Additionally, I guess that it is imperative that the height of the sparging rig, relative to the grain bed, is adjustable. Is that a safe assumption?

Thanks for the ideas.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:39 PM   #7
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I run it through a fitting in the lid and use a hose clamp to hold it in place. I use a QD to make it easy to remove and clean.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:14 AM   #8
natehilde

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

That looks like a very sweet operation you're running there. I especially like the sliding lid design. Thanks for the pics.

Just thought I'd let you all know that I just finished in the garage with the first nights construction. I have been "playing" with my new toy. I went to Lowes and got a 14" chop saw to cut the square tubing for the AG Monster's frame. That thing is the poopy. There is something very manly and cool about cutting and fusing metal. It makes me feel powerful!! Anyway, I have cut all the pieces for the frame. I am now in the process of cleaning and beveling the ends of the tubing in preparation for welding tomorrow. As long as SWMBO has nothing for me, I should have the frame tacked and welded tomorrow. I will post some in process and finished product pics tomorrow.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:27 AM   #9
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Git 'er dun!

Old 06-09-2007, 03:31 AM   #10
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Mash
How does the sparge water flow evenly out of all the out of all the openings? In the pick it looks like its mainly coming out of one on the left? Sorry if this is a dumb question, just looks that way to me - like the water flows out of the lowest outlet because its not perfectly level? But actually it looks like the ones on the right are lower in the grain....what's going on?

Quick Reply