Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Treated myself to a Mixer 6er.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Default Treated myself to a Mixer 6er.

Gotta love the local Hy Vee - picked up a Mixer 6'er for $8.99

Just finished the Great Divide Titan IPA - strong, very strong. Almost 7% abv. Great head, fantastic piney aromas. The standard american C's come through mid-drink, and then it finishes with a great sweet, malty aftertaste that you wouldn't expect from an IPA.

The others are:
Great Divide's St. Bridgett Porter
Great Divide's Denver Pale Ale
Breckenridge's Hefe Proper
Tommyknocker's Butthead Doppelbock
Big Sky's Moose Drool

I tried to pick 6 good-lookin' beers I had never tried before. I'll post re: the others as they are quaffed.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2008, 04:28 AM   #2
EricS

Recipes 

I had the TommyKnocker a long time ago, don't remeber if it was any good. A couple years ago I had a beer tasting party with all of my BMC friends. In an atempt to expand my friends horizons I required everyone to bring a six pack of any micro. We all sampled and than they all voted Moose Drool as the best.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
Zar
Recipes 

Its hard to go wrong with Great Divide. Ive almost bought their DPA so many times, but always seem to go with something else. I need to buy some Tommy Knockers again. The last case i got turned out to be pretty old so the flavors seemed pretty bland and the carbonation was quite low. Ive had a couple proper ones and they were pretty good.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Big Sky's Moose Drool - I was already drunk when I opened it, but I remember drinking it still. It was not what I expected from a brown ale - I was expecting bready, biscuity, nutty tastes. This was much lighter. Almost watery, but not in a bad way, just in a very drinkable way. This gets the same "Tastes like dark Budweiser" comment I gave to Shiner Bock - BUT. This time, saying that is a good thing. Last time it wasn't. All in all, very drinkable. If I brewed a keg of this and had friends over, it would be gone at the end of the night. Not something I can say about most of my brews. (Friends don't like flavor, color, or mouthfeel, it would seem.)

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 01-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #5
Melana
Up to no good....
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1498 Times on 900 Posts
Likes Given: 954

After my morning at work those look so good and i'm SO thirsty!

Old 01-05-2008, 06:31 PM   #6
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Had a nice quiet movie night with the roomie, so we knocked out two of the maltier selections.

Great Divide St. Bridget Porter - Fantastic. I can't describe much of what I remember, it was just tasty. It was everything a classic robust porter should be. Perfect head and lace, great color, fantastic mouthfeel. I could drink this beer daily.

Tommyknocker's Doppelbock - Not as good. Someone mentioned carbonation problems, I will +1 that. I popped the cap and barely even got a "pfft" out of it. Poured with almost no head at all. Color is great - brilliant, clear reddish mahogany. Taste is interesting. There is either an ester from the yeast, or perhaps one of the raisiny or plum overtones to this beer that doesn't sit well. I had to sip slowly and make the roomie drink most of this, because it put my stomach in danger of entering yak mode. Same problem I have often with weizenbocks, so it could definitely be a yeast profile type of thing.

@EricS, I read your post like four times before I finally noticed that everyone brought a random 6pk. That's a fantastic idea, I might try that at the next poker game! Thanks!

Old 01-06-2008, 05:02 AM   #7
EricS

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriso
@EricS, I read your post like four times before I finally noticed that everyone brought a random 6pk. That's a fantastic idea, I might try that at the next poker game! Thanks!
Yeah it was pretty cool, just make sure that you tell them that they can't bring any BMC, I told them if they tried I wouldn't let them in the door.

As for the Moose Drool, I didn't really care for it either, but "they" all voted on it. Instead I drank up most of the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale that TWO people brought.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:00 AM   #8
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

I've never had the Tommyknocker dopplebock, but I really like their maple nut brown. I think that's their best beer.

The Moose Drool's good, and the Breckenridge Hefe was OK.

I don't think I've had any of the Great Divide beers.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:32 AM   #9
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Moose Drool is defiantly one of my Fav. Brown ales.

Quick Reply