Stone XI Anniverary Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just able to reserve 6 bottles of it. OMFG I can't wait. I can pick it up Friday. YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11thannivale.jpg

ArroganceFan said:
I had a bottle of Stone's XI Anniversary ale tonight....wow it was amazing...you need to try it. :tank:

Where did you pick this up? I haven't had any luck finding it in Columbus as of yet.

OK, I'm hitting the beer store tonight... I *need* to find this. 10th Anniversary was one of the best beers I've ever had, I've GOT to try this.

the_bird said:
OK, I'm hitting the beer store tonight... I *need* to find this. 10th Anniversary was one of the best beers I've ever had, I've GOT to try this.
Better call first. I had my lovely wife stop by Ryan and Casey's on Monday, and it wasn't in yet. It still may be making it's way out to the western part of the state.

:off: Stone starts distribution of thier products in Vermont at the end of this month.:rockin:

Well, I need to hit the store anyway. All I have left for commerical brews are pretty much IPAs, so I need to get something for the wife regardless.

I'm going to have to drive through Greenfield on the way back from your place, I need to see the legendary Ryan & Casey's for myself! Can't believe I never made it there when I lived in Greenfield (of course, I wasn't drinking good beer then).

ohiobrewtus said:
Where did you pick this up? I haven't had any luck finding it in Columbus as of yet.
Andersons off of 161 and Sawmill has a few bottles. I recently spent around $70 on brew there, didn't pick this one up though. I might have to go grab it.

ohiobrewtus said:

Duuuude...we got 6 cases at our shop. SIX CASES! Last year, I had to actually go to another store and buy it at retail price because ours sold out before the end of the day it arrived. Not this year.

If you can't find any, lemme know...we'll do another trade.

And yeah, I had my first bottle last night. Not sure how to characterize it. Tastes and smells like an IPA, looks like a brown ale. Really nice and hoppy. I love it!!

Saw it last night, but picked up a bottle of Left Hand Brewing Co. Oak Aged Imperial Stout instead (at $11.99/bottle)...wanted something dark, guess I'll have to pick up the anniversary next time I am near that store (which conveniently is on the road that I will be riding my bike home on this evening....)

Evan said:
And yeah, I had my first bottle last night. Not sure how to characterize it. Tastes and smells like an IPA, looks like a brown ale. Really nice and hoppy. I love it!!

I think it's classified as a black IPA. I don't know if that's an official beer type, but we've seen a few of them here in San Diego over the last year. Looks like a stout/porter and tastes like an IPA. I thought it had a little too much of the smoked porter taste to it for my personal taste, but I like it better than the 10th anniversary.

I had one last night. What a fantastic IPA. Yes it is dark, a nice deep brown color. It's made with some de-husked carafa so it gets the color, but no roasted bitterness. Just a hint of dark chocolate in there. The hops are classic Stone for an IPA. Bitter, but clean and plenty of hop nose, flavor and aroma. If you can find this beer, get it. You won't be dissapointed if you like IPAs.

I bought 2 the other day, 4.99$ a pop. I poured one tonight for The Late Michael Jackson. It was VERY good. I think I might go and buy a couple more tomorrow!

Do you think this beer would cellar well?

It will. The hop flavor and aroma will fade over time, but it will definately keep if stored properly.

I finally picked one up saturday and drank it last night in celebration of me finishing my first (and last) marathon...I gotta say it was a bit of a letdown. It didn't have the bitterness or aroma of their IPAs, and it was a strange mix of an IPA and a porter or stout. I would almost describe it is a hoppy stout, lots of roasty/chocolate/coffee tones that reminded me of a stout, and it went strangely with the bitterness of the hops. I don't think it was bad, just not something I would buy again.

ColoradoXJ13 said:
I finally picked one up saturday and drank it last night in celebration of me finishing my first (and last) marathon...I gotta say it was a bit of a letdown. It didn't have the bitterness or aroma of their IPAs, and it was a strange mix of an IPA and a porter or stout. I would almost describe it is a hoppy stout, lots of roasty/chocolate/coffee tones that reminded me of a stout, and it went strangely with the bitterness of the hops. I don't think it was bad, just not something I would buy again.

Wow, I wonder if there's any bottle variation. No, it's not Ruination, but the bottle I had was bitter enough and hoppy as hell (and this is coming from a bonafide hop-head). There was almost no roasted flavor/aroma...just a hint. Either you and I have vastly different palates, or there's bottle variation.

Brewsmith said:
It will. The hop flavor and aroma will fade over time, but it will definately keep if stored properly.

I have a bottle of 10th Anniversary that I've been cellaring since last year. I'm curious how much of the intense hop flavor (DAMN, that was/is a good beer) has faded.

the_bird said:
I have a bottle of 10th Anniversary that I've been cellaring since last year. I'm curious how much of the intense hop flavor (DAMN, that was/is a good beer) has faded.
Bring it with you Saturday and we can do some analysis.

I reaaly liked it. I sensed a slight piney smell/taste. I'm going today to buy more :D

the_bird said:

Yeah, I've got a couple btls in my cellar too. With all that sweetness, I'll bet it ages like a pro for a few more years.

:off: Speaking of aging, I was in my brewshop this morning and caught a glimpse of that bottle of JW Lees Harvest Ale vintage 1998 through the handle-hole in one of my crates. I bet it's awesome right now. Garrett Oliver says he's had 20-year-old JW Lees Harvest and it was fantastic. I don't think I can wait that long. I DO have one bottle of each of those harvest ales they did a few years back that were all aged in different barrels too (sherry, whiskey, port, laguvulin), so I won't feel so bad abotu opening that '98.

Glibbidy said:
Bring it with you Saturday and we can do some analysis.

You know...

I have a LOT of stuff that I'm willing to share. I've got some bottles of Russian River brews, including one that is 100% brett-fermented (can't remember the name) that would be nice to share with my buds. Plus, some stuff that Dude gave me and a monster barleywine from Bernie Brewer that I *cannot* drink by my lonesome. I'll pack a nice selection ;)

the_bird said:
You know...

I have a LOT of stuff that I'm willing to share. I've got some bottles of Russian River brews, including one that is 100% brett-fermented (can't remember the name) that would be nice to share with my buds. Plus, some stuff that Dude gave me and a monster barleywine from Bernie Brewer that I *cannot* drink by my lonesome. I'll pack a nice selection ;)
:off:
awesome. Can't wait. I'll dust off some 2006 Three philosphers, and perhaps some 2006 Gouden Carolus Cuvee van de Kaiser.

the_bird said:
I've got 2 bottles of that...:D

ArroganceFan said:
I had a bottle of Stone's XI Anniversary ale tonight....wow it was amazing...you need to try it. :tank:

I thought it was tasty.. amazing? I don't think I would go that far. It is interesting how many different impressions of the flavor I am hearing & reading that seem to be influenced by the appearance and expectation based on the color.

I finally got to try this. Holy hops batman! It is so intenesly hopped that much of the rest is indistinguishable. I get a hint of roastiness, but this one is all about hops. It is great.

Latest posts

Back