New Glarus Smoked Rye Bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
When I was in Wisconsin last weekend I picked up a 4-pack of this limited edition beer from New Glarus Brewing. It is one in their series of "Unplugged" beers. The bottle says they "make no promises to ever brew this style again". It also states that they use Bamberg smoked barley, Wisconsin rye and an imported Bavarian Weiss yeast. It's bottle conditioned and they claim it is "appropriate for lying down or drinking immediately".

I sampled this at 48oF. The color is golden, more like a maibock, and slightly hazy, probably from the rye (?). It pours a thick, slightly rocky head which soon dissipates. It has the aroma of a Belgian wheat.

The taste? The first sip really hits you with the smoke! After the first sip, my palate was 'primed' and the flavors more like an American style wheat come through - miniscule fruit/banana flavors at the start, then a warming sensation that reminds me of Bell's Oberon, finishing with that smoke flavor!

Overall, I really like this. It didn't blow me away, but I'd definitely buy it again, assuming they ever brew it again! I’d like to try this on tap, if they offer it that way! On a 100 point scale, I'd give it an 85.
IMHO, this would be a great accompaniment to smoked fish! :mug:

a few nights ago i tried the sour brown from the unplugged series from last year. it had been cellared almost a year. all i can say is wow. i wish i could try that smoked rye bock.

Rhoobarb said:
I sampled this at 48oF. The color is golden, more like a maibock, and slightly hazy, probably from the rye (?). It pours a thick, slightly rocky head which soon dissipates. It has the aroma of a Belgian wheat.

I've had clear rye beers before, I would think that the haze comes from the bavarian weiss yeast. Sounds yummy. How much aftertaste was there?

so is it good enough to go through the trouble of me calling soeone in wisco and having them hold on to one until they get down here in may?

that sour brown was a crazy beer. i dont care for sour ales too much but this one was so interesting i have to classify it as damn good.

Back