Beer Advocate Grade Inflation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alcibiades

Reaction score
Wayy too many people giving A grades on that site. If we are going to compete with the wine connoisseurs, I think there needs to be a bit more healthy discrimination between beers. What do you think?

I think I see too many D's from people who are surprised to learn that 1) sour beers are sour and 2) they don't like sour beers.

The only reason I joined up was to give The Bruery's Hottenroth an A.

This is the only review I've done to date. Maybe I should give Karl Strauss' Imperial Pilsner an F just to even things out.

I don't know about BA, but ratebeer won't count it if you even fewer than 10 ratings.

BA used to have number ratings but switched to letters. Maybe it's easier to give an A than a 5.0.

If your beer is 10+% ABV or 100+ IBU, you get an A rating on BA.

There are a lot of people who don't really know the different between a decent beer and a great beer, or a mediocre beer and a flatout bad beer. Many people are overwhelmed by intense flavors in imperial IPAs, stouts, or sours and just think lots of flavor must mean it is good.

Back