HomerT's Labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerT

Reaction score
Well, first off I needed a Brewery name....one of our dogs provided the inspiration...
ACBC1.jpg

The first brew was a red ale, brewed for my uncle's b-day....
Slide1.jpg

Next is a Winter Warmer in my primary currently...
Slide2.jpg

And finally, on deck is a Fat Tire clone....
Slide3.jpg

-Todd

Hey... here's something you might be able to use for one of your future labels. A Chihuahua skull.

chihuahua-skull-lg.jpg

Nice labels!

-walker

Thanks. I will save the pic for a beer to be named later.

As for the labels, my skills are limited, so that's the best I could do with powerpoint. Hoever, when printed on the color laser printer at the wife's office...the result looks pretty good. The bottles (and beer) were a hit at the party last weekend.

-T

I am curious to see what types of paper people are using for their bottle labels. Are they easy to get off when you change types? I know that the commercial bottles I have stripped have been a PITA. I would like to label, but don't want to create more work...

I use blank gummed label making paper from Homebrewheaven.com. They come off the same as my commerical labels. To remove any label, I soak a bunch of bottles overnight in a mixture of 5-gallons water to 1-cup of amonia. In the morning, the labels are just floating....

-Todd

HomerT said:
I soak a bunch of bottles overnight in a mixture of 5-gallons water to 1-cup of amonia. In the morning, the labels are just floating....
-Todd

and here I am soaking in bleach water and forcibly scrubbing them off.

I cleaned labels off of about 60 bottles the other night. Took forever, and my hands are wrecked (dry, cracking, painful.)

-walker

I think I read the amonia trick in Papazians book. I soaked 40 bottles the other night, and all but the Sam adams Light labels were floating by morning. Those needed a rub with a thumb and they slid off.

I then use a bottle/carboy jet to rinse them. I then soak them in Idaphor for ~5min...wipe the outisde down with a paper towel and place upside down in a box lined with 4-layers of paper-towels. I keep them that way till bottling day.

-Todd

Great labels, I like em!

By the way, I buy labels from Underground Digital. They easily come off after soaking in hot soapy water for 10 minutes. But, they withstand icy water and ice, so they are pretty handy to have.

I use plain printer/copier paper, and an inkjet. stick them on using PVA adhesive/bonder/primer from DIY store. Have started spraying with hairspray now to seal the fronts. Smells lovely and makes you happy!

kenmc said:
I use plain printer/copier paper, and an inkjet. stick them on using PVA adhesive/bonder/primer from DIY store. Have started spraying with hairspray now to seal the fronts. Smells lovely and makes you happy!
I do the same but never thought of sealing them. I just give a quick sprits of a 3M spay adhesive and slap them on. It comes off easy from a warm soapy-water soak.

Wild

kenmc said:

Isn't PVA primer white?
I've been using a glue stick. Seems to work OK.

...this thread is 7 years old, but the labels in the first post seem to have aged a bit into something completely different!

LOL, yeah, I was gonna say... those are beer labels? I know beer has it's health concerns, but I wouldn't label all mine with the "risk" issue really...

Back