Yeast Washing - Mason Jars and Grolsch Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madcapstudios

Reaction score
So having never done it before, I'm all hot to start washing my yeast and saving it for future batches. I've read up on the tutorials and feel pretty good about that.

Where Do You Get Mason Jars?

The problem is I can't get ahold of Mason Jars. :confused: I checked with Mom, who said she threw hers out years ago. Kroger. Nope. Food Lion. Nope. I even dragged myself down to the human zoo that is WalMart and couldn't find anything. Now maybe I'm just looking in the wrong parts of the store - but produce, baking and storage produced no results. Maybe it's seasonal.

Anyone know generally where one gets Mason Jars in today's fast food flash frozen world?

Can you Store Yeast in Grolsch Bottles?

As an alternative, I am considering harvesting the yeast into a couple dozen green flip top Grolsch bottles I've got lying around (I keg and don't bottle anymore). Anyone have experience doing this?

What are the pros and cons of the flip top? Any special steps or consideration?

I appreciate your responses.:D

I start with mason jars (since they have wider openings, and they are clear and easy to see into), but I store my washed yeast in boiled grolsch bottles. I have about 6 grolsch bottles right now in my fridge with yeast strains!

You can use any glass container for yeast washing- if you have a glass pyrex measuring cup, for example, that would work. Anything you can boil before using.

Try a hardware store out in the country. Canning might be a seasonal thing. the local ACE has them, our try amazon.

+1 to walmart, go to the kitchen area and start walking up and down isles, they will be there somewhere.

I got mine at the grocery store, but places like Fleet Farm will have them, too. But you can use anything- baby food jars, spaghetti sauce jars, whatever.

I have had luck finding them at Ace and True Value. Depending on where you live, some o of the big box stores only carry them on a seasonal rotation.

Am I the only one here with a phone? Just call Wally world, and ask if they have them. If they do, and you can't find them, ask an employee where they are. Call hardware stores. Call grocery stores.

Seriously, 10 minutes on the phone, and you should be able to track down either Mason or Ball jars.

Back