Yeast strain affect on FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mario_B

Reaction score
I am currently fermenting a Belgian IPA. I used Stone's IPA extract recipe and it called for WLP002 English Ale Yeast. Instead I decided to use WLP550 Belgian Ale Yeast. Will this change affect my FG? If so, what FG should I be shooting for now? If possible, I would really appreciate some insight on this and how to do the calc (if needed) so I can know for future brews. Thanks!

Some details:

Stone IPA: OG = 1.065 FG = 1.012 ABV = 6.9%
My BIPA: OG = 1.062 FG = ? ABV = ?

WLP002 English Ale Yeast
Attenuation: 63-70%
Flocculation: Very High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-68°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

WLP550 Belgian Ale Yeast
Attenuation: 78-85%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-78°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

I can post the whole recipe if needed.

To get an expected FG from a known yeast and know OG:

Take the points part of the OG. ie 1.062 points = 62. Multiply by the attenuation%. 62x78% or 62x85% gives 48 and 53. That is how many points of sugar the yeast should eat in a beer without a lot of extra unfermentables. So, 62-48 = 14 and 62-53= 9. Therefore, your beer should finish in the 1.009 to 1.014 range. If you are providing optimal fermentation conditions, it should be near the bottom of that range.

...it called for WLP002 English Ale Yeast. Instead I decided to use WLP550 Belgian Ale Yeast. Will this change affect my FG?

Yes. Those strains are on the opposite end of the spectrum for attenuation. Good news is, 550 is an awesome yeast. I'd guess 1.010 would be reasonable.

Also, how can they call it a Belgian IPA using a British yeast? The Belgian yeast is what defines that style. So good job using Belgian yeast ;)

To get an expected FG from a known yeast and know OG:

Take the points part of the OG. ie 1.062 points = 62. Multiply by the attenuation%. 62x78% or 62x85% gives 48 and 53. That is how many points of sugar the yeast should eat in a beer without a lot of extra unfermentables. So, 62-48 = 14 and 62-53= 9. Therefore, your beer should finish in the 1.009 to 1.014 range. If you are providing optimal fermentation conditions, it should be near the bottom of that range.

Thank you very much. That explains quite a bit and helped me understand a bit more. :mug:

Yes. Those strains are on the opposite end of the spectrum for attenuation. Good news is, 550 is an awesome yeast. I'd guess 1.010 would be reasonable.

Also, how can they call it a Belgian IPA using a British yeast? The Belgian yeast is what defines that style. So good job using Belgian yeast ;)

Oh they didn't call theirs a Belgian IPA. I am calling mine a Belgian IPA. I used Stone's recipe for their IPA which used the British yeast, only I substituted Belgian yeast instead. Which from my understanding, is pretty much how Stone makes their Cali-Belgique. That's what I was shooting for. ;)

Back