Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggubba

Reaction score
Made my first yeast starter last night it is progressing nicely, lots of bubbling action, nice foam and yeast layer on bottom. I want to brew on Staurday, what is the next step for the yeast?

What do you plan on making? If it is normal strength, you get your batch going, cool, rack, then pitch.

Welcome to HBT.

Made my first yeast starter last night it is progressing nicely, lots of bubbling action, nice foam and yeast layer on bottom. I want to brew on Staurday, what is the next step for the yeast?

Once it is pretty well attenuated, a lot of people cool overnight and decant the "beer" from the starter. Then bring the yeast at the bottom to room temp before pitching. Not saying I do, but a lot of people do.

And welcome :mug:

Once it is pretty well attenuated, a lot of people cool overnight and decant the "beer" from the starter. Then bring the yeast at the bottom to room temp before pitching. Not saying I do, but a lot of people do.

And welcome :mug:

Plan on brewing a Black IPA. Moved The yeast starter to the fridge. Going to brew er up tomorrow

Plan on brewing a Black IPA. Moved The yeast starter to the fridge. Going to brew er up tomorrow

Sounds good. Tomorrow AM, make sure you give your slurry adequate time to come to room temp before pitching. You don't want to temp shock those little fellas and get no fermentation.

I find that when i decant the beer off the yeast i dont get all of the yeast out of the container, as a lot of the liquid is gone, so the slurry is very thick. I like to get all the yeast that i can. Some guys will add some more boiled and cooled wort or water back to the yeast before pitching, i just pitch the yeast and spent wort, that way i get all of the yeast, always turns out great.
Goodluck and Welcome!

Brasco20 said:
I find that when i decant the beer off the yeast i dont get all of the yeast out of the container, as a lot of the liquid is gone, so the slurry is very thick. I like to get all the yeast that i can. Some guys will add some more boiled and cooled wort or water back to the yeast before pitching, i just pitch the yeast and spent wort, that way i get all of the yeast, always turns out great.
Goodluck and Welcome!

Yeah that is pretty much why I don't decant. That and the extra steps.

Back