yeast life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwabdu

Reaction score
I top cropped off my last batch using WLP001 and made a starter in a covered jar. I haven't had time to brew and the starter has been sitting my my basement at about 68F for almost 1 month.

Is the starter still viable or can I make a new starter and add that yeast? do i have to worry about mutations?

if its usable, do i only want the turb layer in a new starter or do I want some of the fermented liquid too? or should i just pout the hole thing into my wort and not make a new starter?

.. home brew store is out of WLP001 and i wanted to brew 2-3 days from now...

Thanks,

Leave the starter as is for now. The morning of your brew day pour the "beer" off of the starter, then add a cup or two of new starter wort. Then go on with your brew day. By the time you're cooled and ready to brew your starter should be reaching krausen. Dump everything in and pop on a blow off tube.

Go to the Yeast page and read up on yeast washing. Wash the yeast and make a new starter. I would not pitch what you have.

If they are out of WLP001, see if they have Safale US-05. Just about the same stuff.

hmmm. To pitch or not to pitch. Thanks for the advice but I still dont know who to listen to.

If i make a starter and it starts fermenting is it good to go? but I also have 45$ in this batch and i really don't want it to come out lousy..

what about the yeast would make it bad to pitch?

Back