Yeast cultivating instead of yeast washing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomtown25

Reaction score
I am not sure if the name of my post is accurate, but I have tried several times to wash yeast and whether I am just paranoid, impatient, or stupid, I do not know if I have yeast collections sitting in my fridge or Yeast/trub mix (personally I think it is the latter). (not to mention concern of infection from a batch, etc.) Therefore, while this is defintely not a novel idea, I was thinking about doing the following and would like some advice/pointers from the Gurus:

1. Buy a Wyeast pack in a strain that I would commonly use.

2. Buy 12 or so test tubes with screw on tops. Also purchase seom glycerin.

3. Make a liter starter (not sure if this is a sufficient size, just going off video I just watched). From what I watched this would be made with 2 cups water and 1/2 cup light DME. I was also thinking of adding yeast nutrient to make sure the yeast procreate enough.

4. After starter is done (about 2 days), divide liquid and all and pour into the test tubes. I may be wrong, but I would not think I need to worry about any trub as it is only 1/2 cup of DME involved and would be pretty clean.

5. Decant a little if necessary.

6. Add glycerin to each vial (not needed if refriderating- only if freezing for up to a year storage). From what I have read, this would be in a 1:4 ratio of what is in the vial already.

7. Label and put in freezer.

8. Next time I brew, just pull one vial and and do a new starter with it and pitch.

9. If I am correct, using this method, I will have produced 5-10 vials of the same yeast which cost me $8 (plus shipping) for one Wyeast pack.

Am I missing something or is any of my plan incorrect or a better option available?:tank:

Sounds about right to me. I haven't done freezing with glycerin but have made yeast slants with DME and gelatin and used them for later batches.

My only concern would be the amounts you're talking about...

As far as I know, a 1L starter should be about sufficient to double the cel count in a smack pack or WL vial. (If this is incorrect, so will the rest of this!!!)

So, you're talking taking roughly 1 billion cells, making it into roughly 2 billion cells, and then splitting that result up 5-10 ways. You're going to have to give these vials some time, and maybe even step them up, to avoid massively underpitching.

That said, Wyeast does sell a lower count smack pack - I think it has a quarter the number of cells a larger smack pack has, and the vials you're talking about here would probably be pretty comparable to those...

Latest posts

Back