Originally Posted by resQman4
I used 1 pound of Wheat DME. That was all they had. And I did a partial boil. I had one problem in the past with a low gravity reading due to not mixing the water and wort well enough in the primary before pitching. I felt I got a good mix on this one so I thought my OG would be fairly accurate.
Yeah, there are plenty of threads discussing how hard (borderline impossible) it can be to get a good OG reading with partial boils. If your OG was truly 1.045 (instead of the 1.055 that is predicted), then that would mean either:
1) Your final volume was ~22% too large, which would mean you ended up with 6.1 gals.
2) You left out 22% of the malt extracts.
3) Some combination of these which adds up to a 22% error.
Mistakes these large are usually pretty noticeable (i.e. you've got a bag of DME sitting around that you forgot to throw in). I'd blame the OG measurement.