Why shouldn't I use One Step Sanitizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most likely because it is a cleanser, not a sanitizer. Cleansers clean off the filth, whereas sanitizers will kill bacteria/fungi.

In my opinion One Step is fine to use. From research I've done it seems people have been using it for a long time without any issues. I hear it does the same as a sanitizer but they can't call it a sanitizer because they have to pay an administration for permission to use the "sanitizer" word. I used it on my first batch of beer and it came out fine.

One-Step is indeed a sanitizer but they didn't go through the legal trouble to actually call it one. Most homebrewers don't use it because there are much cheaper options with shorter contact times and longer shelf lives.

Also, One-Step needs to be rinsed, which is a pain in the butt since you need to boil water to rinse it with (otherwise you're undoing the sanitizing) and leaves a bigger window for recontamination than something like StarSan or iodophor where you can leave it wet (and protected by a film of sanitizer).

Also, One-Step needs to be rinsed, which is a pain in the butt since you need to boil water to rinse it with (otherwise you're undoing the sanitizing) and leaves a bigger window for recontamination than something like StarSan or iodophor where you can leave it wet (and protected by a film of sanitizer).

Uh oh...I never rinsed when I used one step, unless there was obvious residue. I didn't have to rinse much since I used warm enough water to dissolve it. :confused:

One-step does not need to be rinsed, hence the name "One Step." It will leave a film on your equipment if soaked for a long time.
I may be the only one who feels this way, but after using one step and star san, I have to say I prefer one step. That foam from star san just takes too long to dissipate. I am sure it has its advantages, but the short contact time that is needed seems to be negated by the fact that the foam hangs around forever. I am sure somebody will have a different opinion, just my 2 cents.

I don't think one step needs to be rinsed. It's one step, not two step (that's a type of country dance)...

I may be the only one who feels this way, but after using one step and star san, I have to say I prefer one step. That foam from star san just takes too long to dissipate. I am sure it has its advantages, but the short contact time that is needed seems to be negated by the fact that the foam hangs around forever. I am sure somebody will have a different opinion, just my 2 cents.

Just like the solids One-Step leaves behind, the foam can be completely ignored. I will admit though, Star San definitely takes some brain re-training to get over all those suds.

The thing that moved me from One-Step to Star San was the re-use factor. I mix it up in a gallon jug which lasts me 4-5 brew sessions easily.

One-Step is a percarbonate and is basically a cleanser. It is an oxidizer so if you do not have any tough residue on the surfaces being cleaned then it should be fine to not rinse. Remeber, if the one-step loosens any material you may want to rinse that away then sanitize.

I have started using oxy-clean(non-scented) in place of one-step because it is a lot cheaper. I always did a quick rinse when I used one-step because I am anal about cleaning so I don't mind rinsing the oxy-clean as well.
I always follow up with Iodophor after cleaning 1/2 ounce per 5 gallons cold water, has not failed me so far!
But this is just my humble opinion!

So there seems to be a healthy debate between which is better.

Referring to an earlier post, there were some people who were complaining about the amount of time the foam from StarSan takes to dissipate. I think one of the posts in the Stone Cold Lead Pipe N00B Advice thread said that it's not an issue, and you can just pour right over it without waiting for it to dissipate. Is this the case? I mean if I'm pouring the water that i will add to my wort into my carboy, can I just pour that water right onto the foam, and then begin siphoning my cooled wort into the carboy or do you I have to wait for the foam to dissipate?

Don't fear the foam!!!

I've never used one step, but from what I've read, its nothing more than percarbonate (oxy clean). I like percarbonate based cleaners to clean my gear, but wouldn't really consider sanitizing with it, especially with Starsan's ease of use.

I mix up 1 gallon at a time with distilled water. I top off my spray bottle, and probably end up using only 1/4 gallon or less per brew day. The great thing about Starsan, is that the foam sanitizes also! I pour about a cup into my clean fermenter, cap it then give it a good shake. The foam will coat every surface. Other sanitizers like One Step, Iodophor and bleach require longer contact and don't foam. That means you need to mix a lot more to sanitize a keg or fermenter.

Also, One Step can't be stored in a mixed solution since the oxidizing reaction only stays for a few hours once mixed with water. That means any extra at the end of the brew day has to go down the drain. Since Starsan is an acid based sanitizer, its good as long as the pH is below 3. It will keep for a long time mixed with tap water, and for months mixed with Distilled. Since it stores well mixed, you can keep some in a spray bottle. No more mixing sanitizer when you need to take a hydrometer reading.

Personall, I think it is just a matter of time and money.
Iodophor is pretty cheap but it has to made up ahead of time and can be a little smelly(I like it though) Iodophor should be rinsed and requires about a 1 minute contact time. Also, it can stain some plastic containers and tubing yellow.
Starsan is a little more expensive but does not require rinsing as the residue does not harm the beer. Starsan does not require contact time.
As sanitizers go, they are both effective.

My only problem with StarSan is that it's not available in my neck of the woods :(

I use boiling, OxyClean (with rinsing), and elbow grease. You don't need to clean up after using the third option.

When I bought my starter equipment from the lhbs store I asked for no rinse sanitizer and they handed me one step. Then when I went to e.c. kraus for my carboy's and asked for no rinse sanitizer and they handed me one step as well. When you view one step on the e.c.kraus website, under the questions asked at the bottom there is a question on whether it is a cleaner or sanitizer and they reply that it is both. Here's a link:
http://eckraus.com/ONE_STEP_NO/Page_1/PS370.html

I've used it for 7 batches now with no trouble. Just my .02. I'm no pro, and this is just info I have seen on one step.

Well, if the foam is safe, then I guess I would have to cast my vote for starsan, as well. The original reason I bought it was because of the storage issue. As long as the foam is not a problem, I am sold.

I too am a Phish guy.:fro:

one step to work as a sanatizer needs about 15 mins of contact time, starsan needs something like 2 mins.. nuff said

One-step does not need to be rinsed, hence the name "One Step." It will leave a film on your equipment if soaked for a long time.

but the foam is my friend!

Where did you miss the ONE STEP part?

Boiling water is a sanitizer too. I guess it can't hurt, but I have found it completely unneccessary.

I use no rinse (and then like the name, I don't rinse it) and then dump it out and go.

NO infections, even on bottles that just had a quick dunk.

*disclaimer - If there is obvious piles of mold and hardened on gunk (which I never seem to have) I would not settle for a quick dunk in no rinse.*

BrewersFanBrewer said:
I was reading the Stone Cold Lead Pipe N00B Advice Thread and post # 24 says you should not use One Step Sanitizer.

Why is this?

I think some of the concern over one step comes from people who have used it as a "one step" cleaner and sanitizer. There has to be a rinse between the cleaning and the sanitizing, or else the initial debris that you were trying to clean is still in your container, which would inhibit good sanitation. If you've properly cleaned and rinsed and THEN use one step as your sanitizer, I think the choice between it and star san or iodophor becomes one of personal preference.

I think some of the concern over one step comes from people who have used it as a "one step" cleaner and sanitizer. There has to be a rinse between the cleaning and the sanitizing, or else the initial debris that you were trying to clean is still in your container, which would inhibit good sanitation. If you've properly cleaned and rinsed and THEN use one step as your sanitizer, I think the choice between it and star san or iodophor becomes one of personal preference.

I hear that, I usually rinse items after using my OneStep just because I've noticed those little white grainuals of cleaner sticking to my equipment. As much as they say it's kosher (not literally) to not rinse, I can't bear the thought of drinking one of those white cleaner grainuals.

what is the shelf life of a bottle of Idophor?

Sorry on that one, I am not too sure but the article I read was from the main guy from BTF(makers of Iodophor).

I apologize for lack of specifics, I will try to find a link to the article(good reading). Here it is:
http://www.bayareamashers.org/content/maindocs/iodophor.htm

I am a fan of Iodophor but I am in no way trying to sell anyone on it. I like it, it works for me and that is all I can say.

You shouldn't use one-step sanitizer because good ole' unscented Clorox is better and cheaper. My wife is the custodial supervisor for a major tourist city and she will gladly tell anyone that nothing.....NOTHING.....kills germs, viruses and bacteria like chlorine bleach. That is a scientific fact that anyone can look up via the web.

Star San and all of those other sanitizers are nothing more than money-makers for the homebrewing industry.

Pour a cup of bleach into your fermenter and soak everything for an hour or so and then rinse with hot water and your chances of losing any batch of beer, wine or mead to infection drops to damned near NIL. LOL!!!

Even non-scented bleach smells and I always end up getting it on my clothes :)

Well, I'll tell you from experience that unscented bleach when thoroughly rinsed with hot water has no smell at all. In fact, my bleach soaked fermenters always smell of the last batch of beer. But.....if you have a problem with bleach you can try this method.......

Don't use any sanitizer at all! Yep, that's right. Nothing but a thorough rinsing with good old hot water. I've tried this method a good six or eight times and every time I produced excellent beers.

I discovered via the web that there are MANY homebrewers that refuse to use ANY sanitizers at all. They prefer to just rinse their equipment with hot water and brew. I didn't believe it and so I tried it for myself many times and they were right!!!

The bottom line is simply this; It's hard as hell to lose your beer to bacterial infection. You damned near have to create the circumstances yourself before it will actually happen.

Agreed Bacchus, the chance of a few molecules of bleach staying in is probably as good or better than infection.

I just got a voicemail from my water company letting me know that they will be flushing the system in my area over the next few weeks and that I might notice that the water is discoloured... 2 weeks ago we had bad storms and our the sewer systems around here were all backed up and people had water coming into their homes through their slop sinks in their basements... It is just my opinion, but I don't trust plain old hot tap water when working with beer. There are MANY people who have had their beer infected... enough to make me take the extra precautions. I'd rather be safe than sorry, star-san is cheap enough and easy to use.

I'd rather be safe than sorry, star-san is cheap enough and easy to use.

I'm with you, earwig. If people are making good beer with hot tap rinsing, more power to them. That's not enough to convince me to stop being anal about sanitizing though.

Don't fear the foam!!!

I've never used one step, but from what I've read, its nothing more than percarbonate (oxy clean). I like percarbonate based cleaners to clean my gear, but wouldn't really consider sanitizing with it, especially with Starsan's ease of use.

Percarbonate is a sanatizer. Its just not a real quick one. Starsan is definitely easier to use.

I'd rather be safe than sorry, star-san is cheap enough and easy to use.

You're absolutely right. And bleach is even cheaper and just as easy to use AND kills more bacteria effectively than Star-San. I was only trying to illustrate my point that infections are rare and are usually caused by sloppy brewing practices. Although I have brewed many batches with only "hot water" sanitizing, I still regularly use my Clorox to prep my equipment. Like you said; better safe than sorry.

Latest posts

Back