Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Why do big breweries mainly create lagers?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 03:34 AM   #11
filmman03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste View Post
We have similar tastes (or more likely just similar distastes), but you still have to admit that what they do is impressive. You don't have to like it to appreciate it.
Definitely. It is quite an accomplishment to be able to become a beer empire.

I noticed someone mentioned the usage of rice. What is that in place of?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 04:09 AM   #12
CarnellSitka
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I always thought it had something to that lager when compared to ales was seen as the elite drink, back in the day of course. Because it was seen as the "Rich" beer it was highly sought after, and when breweries found ways to brew it more cheaply the market gobbled it up.

sort of like coffee.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #13
carsonwarstler
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnellSitka
I always thought it had something to that lager when compared to ales was seen as the elite drink, back in the day of course. Because it was seen as the "Rich" beer it was highly sought after, and when breweries found ways to brew it more cheaply the market gobbled it up.

sort of like coffee.
Interesting thought. Definitely could have played a role.

There was a tv special on the history channel one time that dove into the history of beer; I bet wed find out answers on there... Or at least one mans view of the answer that made it all the way to film.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #14
Enoch52
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmman03 View Post
I noticed someone mentioned the usage of rice. What is that in place of?
My understanding is that Bud and Miller use corn and rice, respectively, as adjuncts as inexpensive adjuncts for some of the grain bill. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong on this?

Old 12-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #15
ApothecaryBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Someone may have mentioned but...

From my readings it appears that lagers have a longer shelf life than ales. The colder fermentation creates a more stable beer that can sit on the shelf and grow dust before it really goes bad.

I think that is the main reason most American Mega-breweries do lagers, so their turnover is minimal because a 30-rack of bud light, however terrible the flavor, won't have to be pulled off a shelf because it has gone stale. Yet again... money and time winning over quality ingredients and a love of the craft.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #16
billl
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Light lagers aren't an american phenomenon. They are popular around the world. Despite the opinions of us beer snobs, people really do like them. The big companies spent lots of time "perfecting" recipes to appeal to the broadest possible segment of society. They spend just as much time driving down cost in their production chain so that their beer is about as expensive as soda.

Just think "McDonalds". Are they the most flavorful and high quality burgers you can get? No, of course not. Have they sold billions of them anyway? You bet.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #17
BxBrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Theres a show on Netflix called Beer Wars. It was said that it cost BMC 10 cents per bottle to make. The rest of the cost is marketing.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #18
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 353 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 47

One article I read years ago about the transition from the old pre-prohiition days of assorted strong ales and lagers to today's monkey-see-monkey-do swill (aka BMC), was a reaction to the forces that drove prohibition and kind of an "If we make this stuff will you leave us alone to make a living" kind of thing. It was argued that light lagers, because of their weak taste, thin body and low alcohol appealed to women (sorry ladies, I didn't say it, the author did). Since most of prohibition was driven largely by The Christian Women's Temperance Movement, and other largely female groups, it was thought that by making a drink the ladies would find inoffensive it would keep them off the brewers backs. It is interesting that there was a great deal of cooperation between the women's suffrage groups and the temperance groups. So see what happens when you give women the vote? You're left drinking Clydesdale whiz instead of real beer. Sorry ladies, that last was mine, but was just a joke.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #19
mikeh80
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Just think "McDonalds". Are they the most flavorful and high quality burgers you can get? No, of course not. Have they sold billions of them anyway? You bet.
This. The McDonalds analogy is one that often comes to mind for me as well with BMC.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #20
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluckk View Post
One article I read years ago about the transition from the old pre-prohiition days of assorted strong ales and lagers to today's monkey-see-monkey-do swill (aka BMC), was a reaction to the forces that drove prohibition and kind of an "If we make this stuff will you leave us alone to make a living" kind of thing. It was argued that light lagers, because of their weak taste, thin body and low alcohol appealed to women (sorry ladies, I didn't say it, the author did). Since most of prohibition was driven largely by The Christian Women's Temperance Movement, and other largely female groups, it was thought that by making a drink the ladies would find inoffensive it would keep them off the brewers backs. It is interesting that there was a great deal of cooperation between the women's suffrage groups and the temperance groups...
I'll confirm that I also heard that in a documentary about beer.
Latium Talk- A site dedicated to discussion of Latium cryptocurrency. 5 free Latium coin with sign up!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~

Quick Reply