White Goo at the Bottom of my Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDsnakey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I just got through with an attempt at a Classic German Pilsner including a triple decoction mash. At the bottom of my Tun is a thick layer of what looks like white paste. I am not sure what this goo is and if it needs to be included into my Boil.... I opted not to include it but it tastes semi sweet and slightly bitter and is very thick like wet tooth paste. anyone know what this is? I have tried to look online and am tired of the incessant rhetoric and arguing of what this is. Anyone know? I took some pictures and will post if needed. Thanks

I think what you have is essentially watery dough. When I first got my grinding mill and started milling my own grain I was milling them a little bit too fine. As a result of the fine milling I had a lot of powdery stuff going into my mash. This stuff settled at the bottom of my mash tun and made exactly what you are seeing in yours. I didn't include it into my boil. I made a slight adjustment on the mill and in the future I didn't see it anymore.

The beer turned out great too.

I mean I WAS happy to brew and everything... I have never seen that before ill post picture tomorrow for all of the people wondering the same thing. I google'd it and did not come up with a straight up answer. thanks for your prompt responses!:mug:

Sorry this took a while but here are the pictures... yeah its gross

IMG_6924.jpg

IMG_6928.jpg

Sorry this took a while but here are the pictures... yeah its gross

Looks like watery dough to me.

My guess is that some of the grain is getting pulverized.

EDIT:
I didn't see that it had already been established as that. Oops!

Back