White Ale and grapefuit rind shavings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChineseBrew

Reaction score
I am looking to boil in about 2oz. of rind shavings from a grapefruit to a white ale (into a 5 gallon recipe) ... Can I boil for the last 10 min. & has anyone used fresh rind rather than dried? I was thinking fresh but seems like all recipes call for dried.

Go ahead and use fresh, its better :) Try not to get too much pith (the white stuff underneath the rind) but some is not a problem. Last 10 mins is what I usually do for citrus zest

When using rind, unless you're using organic, I'd be sure to soak the fruit in warm/hot water and then scrub it with a clean cloth to remove any pesticides (which are probably worse for the yeast than they are for you). If you're using oranges, I'd only go for organic as some brands actually dye the skin orange in order to make the fruit more appealing.

And yah, the fresh is better

Here's the way I did it... smelled incredible going into fermentation, high hopes for this one. Hopefully simple=good:

Recipe:

1lb. White Wheat Malt (soaked for 30 min.)
added 1 oz. organic Pride of Ring Hops (30 min boil)
@ 10 min. added 6 lbs Plain Wheat DME, 1 lb of light candy sugar and addition of 1 oz. Pride of Ring Hops. (continued boil)
@ 2min. added 3/4oz of whole coriander and 3 oz. freshly zested grapefruit rind.

Sounds good. May have overdone the spices, but i'm not sure...w/ extract brewing that might be spot on. Let us know how it turns out!

BTW, its just my personal opinion, but I tend to stay away from late hop additions in wheats that I add citrus/spice towards the end. I find the hops get in the way of the aromas of the citrus/spice and muddles the flavor. To each their own tho!

Back