When would you add LME to this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saeroner

Reaction score
Seems like every kit i buy directs me to add the LME at 60 mins, but I read that you guys add it at boil out or 15 mins?

AHS Summit IPA

Mini-Mash -

Liquid: 7.5 lb Liquid Malt Extract,

2.75 lb Base Grains,

1 lb Specialty Grains

Specialty malts: Caravienne, Carapils

Featured hops: Summit

So is it better to add the LME at the end? I only have a 5 gal kettle.

Add one-half of the LME at the begining of your boil. This will aid hop oil utilization. Add the remainder of the LME at fifteen minutes before the end of the boil.

You could add all the LME at the start of the boil. Your beer will just end up darker in color than the style guidelines. Heating of the LME darkens the color, the Malliard reaction.

Since you are doing the mini mash, you'll have some of the base grains to aid in the hop utilization so you can add all at flameout if you want. Perfectly acceptable to do half and half as well as flars said.

twistr25 said:
Since you are doing the mini mash, you'll have some of the base grains to aid in the hop utilization so you can add all at flameout if you want. Perfectly acceptable to do half and half as well as flars said.

+1. If it was me, I would add 100% at the end. Especially since it is LME. If you had LME and DME, I would probably do DME earlier and LME at flameout. Then astir until t is dissolved completely and start to cool.

But as was already said, you can do 100% early, 50/50, 100% late, or any other combination you want. Hell, you could add it 1tsp at a time throughout the entire boil if you wanted.

But the fact is, LME darkens more than DME or mashed wort. So the more you add and the earlier you add it, the more darkening you will get. Just make sure it all gets in there:).

Latest posts

Back