Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What would you do? Yeast pitching question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default What would you do? Yeast pitching question

I wanted to brew last night - 1.060 American Brown Ale. I didn't have time to make a starter for it, so I picked up a smackpack of 1056, knowing that I already had one in the fridge. I had planned on pitching two packs since I need about 200 billion cells. After I had cooled my wort, I went to the fridge and discovered that one of the packs had leaked out in the fridge, presumably there was a tiny hole from when I activated it. I had only one pack of 1056 to pitch into a 1.060 beer, so I did. I'm working today and won't be back to the beer until about 6:30 pm.

Should I:

1. Pickup a 1056 on the way home and pitch it even though the beer has already been fermenting for 19 hours by the time I do?

2. Leave it and hope the smack pack grows enough yeasties to do the job? One of my first times brewing, before I really knew about starters, I had pitched a 1056 pack into a 1.062 that hit final gravity perfectly and tasted great.

Also, is it common/normal practice to pitch two packets when one doesn't have time for a starter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by J187 View Post
I wanted to brew last night - 1.060 American Brown Ale. I didn't have time to make a starter for it, so I picked up a smackpack of 1056, knowing that I already had one in the fridge. I had planned on pitching two packs since I need about 200 billion cells. After I had cooled my wort, I went to the fridge and discovered that one of the packs had leaked out in the fridge, presumably there was a tiny hole from when I activated it. I had only one pack of 1056 to pitch into a 1.060 beer, so I did. I'm working today and won't be back to the beer until about 6:30 pm.

Should I:

1. Pickup a 1056 on the way home and pitch it even though the beer has already been fermenting for 19 hours by the time I do?

2. Leave it and hope the smack pack grows enough yeasties to do the job? One of my first times brewing, before I really knew about starters, I had pitched a 1056 pack into a 1.062 that hit final gravity perfectly and tasted great.

Also, is it common/normal practice to pitch two packets when one doesn't have time for a starter?
Pitching two packs IMO is a waste of money. Have you ever look into washing yeast?

Anyway I wouldn't pick another up. I would just let it ride on this one, 1.060 isn't terribly high. Just next time remember that starter. If you oxygenated well those yeast will reproduce just fine. Although chances are it will be a little slower to ferment than if you had normal pitching rates.

This is my experience, YMMV.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
billl
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 7

A lot of brewers pitch 2 packs. A lot of brewers make a starter. A lot of brewers just toss the yeast in and don't worry about.

For a 60 point OG and a clean ale yeast like 1056, any of the 3 would work. If you were at a higher OG or using a yeast that produced all sorts of flavors when stressed, a proper pitch would be much more important.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojzis View Post
Pitching two packs IMO is a waste of money. Have you ever look into washing yeast?

Anyway I wouldn't pick another up. I would just let it ride on this one, 1.060 isn't terribly high. Just next time remember that starter. If you oxygenated well those yeast will reproduce just fine. Although chances are it will be a little slower to ferment than if you had normal pitching rates.

This is my experience, YMMV.
Yea, I didn't forget my starter, I just didn't have time. I want to have options for when I decide to brew without 24+ hours notice. I figured pitching two packs was a viable option, but I ran into an unexpected issue - leaking package.

So you think I should just let it ride out and see if I hit my numbers? I anticipate having near perfect temps over this fermentation and I pitched my yeast at like 65 deg.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I see, you know with dry yeast you would only need one pack. But I see why you would want to take a shortcut for the extra cost.

And yeah, just let it ride out. It should do just fine, especially with good temps.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojzis View Post
I see, you know with dry yeast you would only need one pack. But I see why you would want to take a shortcut for the extra cost.

And yeah, just let it ride out. It should do just fine, especially with good temps.
Thanks!

Old 09-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I think I'm leaning towards pitching another pack... I have to stop for StarSan anyway... I guess I'm slightly leaning toward pitching another pack to be sure.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
dobberson24
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It will be fine with just the one. I would leave it.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
beerman0001
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If the fermentation has already started you are just waisting your money pitching another pack. The yeast would have already replicated to the number they need to ferment.

Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

Old 09-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman0001 View Post
If the fermentation has already started you are just waisting your money pitching another pack. The yeast would have already replicated to the number they need to ferment.
My fear is that what I pitched will not actually reach the number I need.

Quick Reply