Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What would you do? Yeast pitching question
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
J187's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: , MA
Posts: 836
Liked 94 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default What would you do? Yeast pitching question

I wanted to brew last night - 1.060 American Brown Ale. I didn't have time to make a starter for it, so I picked up a smackpack of 1056, knowing that I already had one in the fridge. I had planned on pitching two packs since I need about 200 billion cells. After I had cooled my wort, I went to the fridge and discovered that one of the packs had leaked out in the fridge, presumably there was a tiny hole from when I activated it. I had only one pack of 1056 to pitch into a 1.060 beer, so I did. I'm working today and won't be back to the beer until about 6:30 pm.

Should I:

1. Pickup a 1056 on the way home and pitch it even though the beer has already been fermenting for 19 hours by the time I do?

2. Leave it and hope the smack pack grows enough yeasties to do the job? One of my first times brewing, before I really knew about starters, I had pitched a 1056 pack into a 1.062 that hit final gravity perfectly and tasted great.


Also, is it common/normal practice to pitch two packets when one doesn't have time for a starter?

__________________
J187 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
Mojzis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,142
Liked 114 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J187 View Post
I wanted to brew last night - 1.060 American Brown Ale. I didn't have time to make a starter for it, so I picked up a smackpack of 1056, knowing that I already had one in the fridge. I had planned on pitching two packs since I need about 200 billion cells. After I had cooled my wort, I went to the fridge and discovered that one of the packs had leaked out in the fridge, presumably there was a tiny hole from when I activated it. I had only one pack of 1056 to pitch into a 1.060 beer, so I did. I'm working today and won't be back to the beer until about 6:30 pm.

Should I:

1. Pickup a 1056 on the way home and pitch it even though the beer has already been fermenting for 19 hours by the time I do?

2. Leave it and hope the smack pack grows enough yeasties to do the job? One of my first times brewing, before I really knew about starters, I had pitched a 1056 pack into a 1.062 that hit final gravity perfectly and tasted great.


Also, is it common/normal practice to pitch two packets when one doesn't have time for a starter?
Pitching two packs IMO is a waste of money. Have you ever look into washing yeast?

Anyway I wouldn't pick another up. I would just let it ride on this one, 1.060 isn't terribly high. Just next time remember that starter. If you oxygenated well those yeast will reproduce just fine. Although chances are it will be a little slower to ferment than if you had normal pitching rates.

This is my experience, YMMV.
__________________
Mojzis is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
billl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,932
Liked 277 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

A lot of brewers pitch 2 packs. A lot of brewers make a starter. A lot of brewers just toss the yeast in and don't worry about.

For a 60 point OG and a clean ale yeast like 1056, any of the 3 would work. If you were at a higher OG or using a yeast that produced all sorts of flavors when stressed, a proper pitch would be much more important.

__________________
billl is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
J187's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: , MA
Posts: 836
Liked 94 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojzis View Post
Pitching two packs IMO is a waste of money. Have you ever look into washing yeast?

Anyway I wouldn't pick another up. I would just let it ride on this one, 1.060 isn't terribly high. Just next time remember that starter. If you oxygenated well those yeast will reproduce just fine. Although chances are it will be a little slower to ferment than if you had normal pitching rates.

This is my experience, YMMV.
Yea, I didn't forget my starter, I just didn't have time. I want to have options for when I decide to brew without 24+ hours notice. I figured pitching two packs was a viable option, but I ran into an unexpected issue - leaking package.

So you think I should just let it ride out and see if I hit my numbers? I anticipate having near perfect temps over this fermentation and I pitched my yeast at like 65 deg.
__________________
J187 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
Mojzis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,142
Liked 114 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Default

I see, you know with dry yeast you would only need one pack. But I see why you would want to take a shortcut for the extra cost.

And yeah, just let it ride out. It should do just fine, especially with good temps.

__________________
Mojzis is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
J187's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: , MA
Posts: 836
Liked 94 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojzis View Post
I see, you know with dry yeast you would only need one pack. But I see why you would want to take a shortcut for the extra cost.

And yeah, just let it ride out. It should do just fine, especially with good temps.
Thanks!
__________________
J187 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
J187's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: , MA
Posts: 836
Liked 94 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

I think I'm leaning towards pitching another pack... I have to stop for StarSan anyway... I guess I'm slightly leaning toward pitching another pack to be sure.

__________________
J187 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
dobberson24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Georgetown, ON
Posts: 74
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

It will be fine with just the one. I would leave it.

__________________
dobberson24 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
beerman0001
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: virginia beach, virginia
Posts: 984
Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

If the fermentation has already started you are just waisting your money pitching another pack. The yeast would have already replicated to the number they need to ferment.

__________________
Fermenting.
On tap: World wide lager, Dopelbock, Apfelwein, American Wheat, DFH 90, Dortmunder export, Skeeterpee, Chinook/Citra ipa.
Waiting on a tap. Maibock, Two Hearted, Pliny the elder, Chimay White, Roggenbrier, DFH60
Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)
beerman0001 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
J187's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: , MA
Posts: 836
Liked 94 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman0001 View Post
If the fermentation has already started you are just waisting your money pitching another pack. The yeast would have already replicated to the number they need to ferment.
My fear is that what I pitched will not actually reach the number I need.
__________________
J187 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeast Pitching question silverbullet07 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 09-21-2012 10:36 PM
Pitching yeast question McGreen Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 04-05-2011 12:57 AM
Yeast Pitching Question joetothemo Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 01-28-2011 06:01 PM
A question about yeast pitching waterse Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 11-04-2008 08:54 PM
Question about pitching yeast telemarc Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 10-15-2008 01:30 PM