What should I do with this lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raygun

Reaction score
Last Monday, I started a lager going in my cold room in my basement, which sits at a nice 11 deg C (~52F). This proved to be bad timing, as shortly, I'm going to have to be evacuating the entire basement for a renovation, cold room included, and going on holiday since the house will be unlivable during that period. I'll have enough time to complete primary and a diacetyl rest, but when it comes time for lagering, I'm in a bit of a tight spot. We'll be away for two weeks right as it should be lagering, and my two options will be either to leave in the part of the house that's not being renoed, at ~18C (~65F), or to stick it in the garage, which will be at a temperature of... who knows. This time of year and this climate, could be +15, could be -15. Average daytime high here during that period is +4, average low is -7. Can I leave it at a low room temperature for two weeks, and then resume lagering after I get back?

Of the few lagers I've made I had success with just leaving it for extended conditioning in the closet with the bottled beer. From then it just went into the keezer about 2 months later when a spot had opened. Provided good enough results to warrant me doing so again later this week.

Holiday? Entire house unliveaable? Perfect. Drop the thermostat to about 40F or 5C, enough to keep the pipes from freezing. Begin your lagering. Deal with heating the house back up when you return. Would be slightly easier if you had electric heat and rooms individually governed.

I don't have one with a space large enough to fit a carboy in.

Of the few lagers I've made I had success with just leaving it for extended conditioning in the closet with the bottled beer. From then it just went into the keezer about 2 months later when a spot had opened. Provided good enough results to warrant me doing so again later this week.

Holiday? Entire house unliveaable? Perfect. Drop the thermostat to about 40F or 5C, enough to keep the pipes from freezing. Begin your lagering. Deal with heating the house back up when you return. Would be slightly easier if you had electric heat and rooms individually governed.

You know, I've been planning on getting a Nest thermostat and this seems like the perfect application for it.

Given that primary frmentation is over, room temperature will be fine, id take it to the swings of temperature in a garage. Just start your lagering when you get back.

After your d rest you could just bottle it and let them carbonate at room temperature then put them in the fridge and lager in the bottle.

Back