what do I decant in my starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jourelemode

Reaction score
i'm gonna be brewing later this morning...I looked at my starter in the fridge and there's a 1 inch layer that translucent, then a majority layer that's the color of light DME and about a half inch of white which is the yeast. Do i get rid of everything except the half inch yeast layer and a little bit of the DME layer? thanks

I leave some starter in the vessel so I can swirl up the yeast that has clumped in the bottom. Especially if you cold crashed it, it is going to be thick and somewhat embedded on the bottom.

It's really a matter of preference. Some people decant and others pour the entire contents of the starter into their fermenter. Unless you're very picky about hitting your numbers it really doesn't make much difference.

yeah, i really don't wanna change up the recipe too much so i'll definitely decant...just wanna know if I need to leave some of that DME along with the yeast

I think this is one of those cases where it would be hard to make a big mistake. If it was a huge starter then pour "most" of it off and leave "some" liquid to swirl, like the good Reverend instructed.

If it's a 1 litre starter there is little to be lost by pitching everything!

Latest posts

Back