What did I make???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hemishot

Reaction score
Ok, I was given a recipe from a coworker recently and attempted it today. Before this it was all kits and my last kit I added some extra grains. If someone could, check this over, see if it is worth drinking or just one to go in the "don't do again" book. Also my Hydrometer broke so I will check it tomorrow and update.
Thank you

2 lbs of Barley Flakes
1 lb of Oat Flakes
-both added to 160' 2 1/2 gallons water and stirred for 20 min.
-strained water from this into a second pot
-had to add slightly less than 1 gallon of fresh water to bring back to 2 1/2gallons
3lbs of Light Extract
3lbs of Wheat Extract
1oz Saaz Hops
-added after bringing back to 160'
-stirred for 60 minutes
-added 1tsp. of Irish Moss 15 minutes before end.
Cooled to 70'
Poured into Primary, and topped off to 5 gallons
Pitched dry Yeast.

looks like a decent wheat beer to me. what kind of dry yeast did you use? it'll probably turn out like an american wheat. the oat and barley flakes should give it a nice head.

i say drink up! :mug:

I used Muntons Dry Yeast. I had it readily available. Would a liquid yeast be more suitable? Also, this would be considered an Extract brew, correct?

yes, extract with steeped grains, basically.

for wheat beers, i prefer the WLP300. it gives nice clove and banana notes. i ferment at about 65F to keep these flavours from being overpowering.

using regular yeast for wheat beers will give it more of the american style.

it should be a good beer! let me know how it turns out!

Back